Transferring air from 1 tank to another

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Respect high pressure gas, but no need to be afraid of it. Here are a couple of pictures of the fitting(s) Matt, Vance, and rcs9250 are talking about. I wish I remembered the thread sizes, but I would bet Vance knows them off the top of his head. One of the fittings (flare on both ends) can be used to connect two hp hose together after you remove the SPGs. The other fitting can be used by simply screwing it into a hp port, remove the SPG off only one hose, connect the hose up to the fitting.....viola....Coonass Equalizer. It is slow, but not that slow. I only use this when I am dodging the VIP Nazis, but it transfers much quicker than you think.

Couv

Last edited:
It takes about ten minutes to put 500PSI in an empty tank (LP72) from a relatively full one using two regs. That's an estimate, I never timed it.

Nice pictures Couv. Good idea on the 37 degree JIC x 3/8 port fitting. That way only one HP hose is required.
By the way the threads on the inside of the gage end of the HP hose is 7/16-20 UNF.

Here are some pictures I took tonight. The first one is of a disassembled HP fitting with the inside piece slid out to show that there is a conical taper that the fitting will seat on. The second picture shows the hose ends and the fitting. That particular fitting is a bulkhead fitting but works the same. It is made to go through a panel and then a nut on one side to hold it in place. It worked for the example here.
The third picture is the assembly of all 3 ready to transfer.
I took a macro picture of the HP hose end that screws into the reg to show the tiny hole in it but it is to small to show up. The hole size varies amongst hose manufacturers so it's hard to state a specific or standard size.
As I said in a previous post, be sure to remove the spool from the hose end. Some times it stays in the SPG when you take it apart. Be sure to keep any dirt or sand out of it when doing it in the field.
Randy

Attachments

• HP HOSE 005.jpg
    HP HOSE 005.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 97
  • HP HOSE 008.jpg
    HP HOSE 008.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 98
  • HP HOSE 007.jpg
    HP HOSE 007.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 92
I went to the hydraulic supply store today to get the fitting sizes for those of you interested in a $2.50 solution instead of a $125 fill whip. In order to connect two high pressure hoses (i.e. remove both SPGs) you need a JIC (thanks Randy) male to male 7/16-20 adapter....see the picture in post 35, it's the fitting with the two 37 degree flares. If you want to remove just one SPG and connect the hose directly into the other regulator HIGH PRESSURE port, you need a JIC 7/16-20 to SAE 7/16-20 adapter and o-ring. See the other fitting with a flare on one end and a straight connector on the other. Be sure to order a high pressure fitting.

By the way, ScubaToys did a video on cutting a HP hose and it took about 30 min to empty an AL80, so I would estimate approximately :15 to equalize two 80 cubic foot tanks. So regardless of the types of tanks, we aren't talking about a lot of time.

Couv

I bought and used this fitting today. Worked great! Transferred 1500 psi in about 15 mins.
Graingers Item No. 2F347; page 3524 of the current year catalog.
Max working pressure is 7500 psi.... $2.27 tax included.

This would be to remove just one SPG and connect the hose directly into the other regulator HIGH PRESSURE port.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom