Tough week for diving in SE FL

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubadada

Diver
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was visiting from Sunday June 30 and left today. I had high expectations of extensive diving but the conditions were adverse. With some flexibility in plans I was able to get in 13 dives. Got in 4 good dives in Boynton Beach, 2 with UE on the 30th and 2 with Starfish on the 3rd. I dived with JDC on the 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 7th. The 1st dive of a 3 tank with JDC on th 5th was spectacular with a drift on deep ledge. We were initially joined by a Bull Shark and then had visits from numerous Sandbar Sharks during the drift, as many a 3 at a time. I did a REEF fish ID course on Sunday with Paul Humann followed by a 2 tanker to practice fish survey, as with all new activities, it was humbling but fun. Diving in SE FL is the best.

I am hoping to dive that area on Sunday. Hope that TS stays away.... Newbie and not big on boats in rough sees. Hopeful. Joining my OW instructor on his classes and my BIL cert dive so sure if it will be bad he won't go. Will be my first OW dives after getting certified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Good think you got your diving in when you did. I just cancelled my dives planed for this coming weekend due to Chantal.

What luck on all those sharks! In 39 dives I've seen only two sharks, and they were both on the same dive.

I'll be down on business this week and was hoping to dive this weekend before flying out on Monday. IF the storm hits the east coast strong enough to cancel the diving, is there anywhere on the west coast of Florida within a 2-3 hour drive that might be worth trying. In all likelihood, if the storm hits, I'll just find something else to do, but I'm just curious. Coworker's flying home on Friday, but I extended the trip just to dive. :(

I'll be down on business this week and was hoping to dive this weekend before flying out on Monday. IF the storm hits the east coast strong enough to cancel the diving, is there anywhere on the west coast of Florida within a 2-3 hour drive that might be worth trying. In all likelihood, if the storm hits, I'll just find something else to do, but I'm just curious. Coworker's flying home on Friday, but I extended the trip just to dive. :(

Im hoping diving will be decent in the keys this weekend. There has to be good viz somewhere. Forecasts are putting the storm way out east which should suck the bad weather away from the keys.

Im hoping diving will be decent in the keys this weekend. There has to be good viz somewhere. Forecasts are putting the storm way out east which should suck the bad weather away from the keys.

Thanks Dave. I usually dive in Key Largo, but wanted to try up near Palm Beach this trip. Would gladly drive there if it's a better option. Will just have to keep an eye on the weather.

We were initially joined by a Bull Shark and then had visits from numerous Sandbar Sharks during the drift, as many a 3 at a time.

Don't know that I would have been able to differentiate either the bull nor the sandbars from reef sharks. About the only distinctive feature that I noticed about the sandbars in my google image search was that a lot of the pics were of them on a beach with a fisherman nearby. :D

Sounds like you had a pretty decent trip in spite of the weather.

Don't know that I would have been able to differentiate either the bull nor the sandbars from reef sharks. About the only distinctive feature that I noticed about the sandbars in my google image search was that a lot of the pics were of them on a beach with a fisherman nearby. :D

Sounds like you had a pretty decent trip in spite of the weather.

Their pectorals point downward, making them look aggressive when they are not. They can be rather pesty and love to sneak up on you when you aren't looking their way. They are a very attractive shark, one of my favorites.

the storm is expected to make a mess of things but not be serious. That said, there will likely be severe weather warnings, very gusty winds, high wave/surf, small craft advisories and the like. Though not a hurricane....and potentially not even a tropical storm, it will not be a good weekend for divers! I'd rather be diving, instead I will be manning the Miami Beach EOC.

I am flying down in two weeks to dive Key Largo. Hope to have some good weather, but you never know. We lost a trip to NC last fall and another last month due to tropical storms. Just bad luck.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom