Tore My Rix SA-6B Apart

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have any ideas how I can torque the SKF lock nuts?

One side is torqued to 100lb, the other side is 200lb. I'm pretty sure I have a spanner in the shop.. but not sure how I'd torque to spec. Obviously I don't have the special HSM tool, lol.

20231013_153729.jpg
Capture.JPG

Measured and weld on an old socket to the spanner. Then do math to figure out the torque.

Or see if a modified 4x4 socket will work, or take a right size socket and weld square stock to the outside of the socket.

or take a right size socket and weld square stock to the outside of the socket.

I thought about welding a socket to the spanner as close as I can get to the head? So I can just snap the torque wrench in there. Do I lose / gain anything from it not being directly on the nut? I mean would I have to adjust my torque specs at all?

Edit: they make this but it's $120:(

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 40
Ok... I think I found the ticket. Here's a tool that can connect to the spanner and has a socket for a torque wrench, plus in the instructions it has what to modify the torque to to match what you really want.

Here are some up close shots of the piston heads.

Attachments

• 20231017_110941.jpg
    20231017_110941.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 46
  • 20231017_111203.jpg
    20231017_111203.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231017_111312.jpg
    20231017_111312.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231017_111323.jpg
    20231017_111323.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 37
@iain/hsm, here is an idea:

An online Zoom workshop to learn how to service RIX SA compressors... Sign me up! :)
Oh we were heading there... I think he saw it coming and squashed that before we could even get it off the ground, lol.

You have seen his videos though, yes? They've been a tremendous help (to me at least).

I really wish he would grace us with the time to finish the complete set. It's all I want for Christmas I swear @iain/hsm :)

This guy also just uploaded some videos a few weeks ago. A Rix but different model (same concept). Today is the 1st time I'm seeing these;

When you get torquing with an offset adapter (crowfoot, etc ) if you torque at 90* to the offset, there is no change in torque value.
tekton-crowfoot-90-degree-2x.webp

Otherwise it can be calculated ...

When you get torquing with an offset adapter (crowfoot, etc ) if you torque at 90* to the offset, there is no change in torque value.
tekton-crowfoot-90-degree-2x.webp

Otherwise it can be calculated ...

Does that hold true regardless how far that 90 is?

I can see using the tool I linked to attach the spanner to the torque wrench, but it would probably be at least a few inches away.

That's some pretty cool science!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom