Rix SA6 moisture separator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

benha

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey folks.

I've got a RIX SA6 that wasn't compressing very well. Tore it apart and replaced all the seals, as well as the 2nd stage piston, which was cracked. Put it all back together and tested it and NOW I realize that the moisture separator after the 2nd stage is cracked and unusable. ARGH. RIX wants - cough - $834.65 for this part. That's somewhat insane.

Has anyone identified an aftermarket "equivalent"? I'm happy for this not to be a straight bolt on. I've already converted it from diesel to electric, built a new frame, etc., so it's not a stock unit anyway. I can make additional modifications rather than pay usurious prices...

Alternatively, anyone have a "for parts" compressor that has one in good shape they'd be willing to sell?

-Ben

Hey folks.

I've got a RIX SA6 that wasn't compressing very well. Tore it apart and replaced all the seals, as well as the 2nd stage piston, which was cracked. Put it all back together and tested it and NOW I realize that the moisture separator after the 2nd stage is cracked and unusable. ARGH. RIX wants - cough - $834.65 for this part. That's somewhat insane.

Has anyone identified an aftermarket "equivalent"? I'm happy for this not to be a straight bolt on. I've already converted it from diesel to electric, built a new frame, etc., so it's not a stock unit anyway. I can make additional modifications rather than pay usurious prices...

Alternatively, anyone have a "for parts" compressor that has one in good shape they'd be willing to sell?

-Ben
Man that stinks. I love my SA6. The diesel engine is free for me to run, but deafening.

I can't be of any help as far as spares go. If it's for the 2nd stage you might be able to find someone to weld on it? I'd be tempted as the 2nd stage only holds ~ 525 psi and the safety valve will blow off at I think 1000 (if your 3rd stage was to bleed back).

Any pictures? How the heck did it crack? I am in the process of rebuilding but as far as I know everything is fine. Mine was running fine when I pulled it apart save for some blowby and the 3rd stage leaking back every so often. The 2nd stage was reading a hair out of spec during operation.

to me (besides being discontinued) it's the perfect hobby compressor. No oil, easy to maintain, easy to tear apart. 5cfm.. it's all around perfect.

I am thinking that a moisture separator isn't a high tech component--especially if it is manually operated. Is this correct? Will a moisture separator made for any high quality scuba air compressor work (assuming it's oxygen-compatible and you can plumb it in)?

rx7diver

I am thinking that a moisture separator isn't a high tech component--especially if it is manually operated. Is this correct? Will a moisture separator made for any high quality scuba air compressor work (assuming it's oxygen-compatible and you can plumb it in)?

rx7diver
I think that the size would come into play with the way it was engineered. Like x size for y compressor? I could be totally wrong. I'm sure other off the shelf models would work, but I couldn't find anything in my 30s worth of Googling.

@-JD- or @tbone1004 might have some insight. (both own SA6's).

Yeah. I was thinking I'd just machine a new tube, but the guts are so corroded I can't pull them out. Sigh.

Split at the threads up top. Photos below.

No way this is weldable, but I like the idea of finding a "standard" separator. Alternatively, what happens if I just bypass it? Presumably I'd have to drain the 3rd stage more often but I doubt there'd be enough moisture getting through that it'd hydrolock or something...

Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 12.24.27 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-05-15 at 12.23.29 PM.png

I think that the size would come into play with the way it was engineered. Like x size for y compressor? I could be totally wrong. I'm sure other off the shelf models would work, but I couldn't find anything in my 30s worth of Googling.

@-JD- or @tbone1004 might have some insight. (both own SA6's).
Once it's up to pressure the size isn't going to impact throughput.

Size is primarily going to impact frequency of draining.

I did a quick search for "water separator for Bauer scuba compressor", and got a bunch of links. So, I'm thinking that a more general search will provide more options.

rx7diver

rx7diver
Option 2. Take your SA-6 3rd stage separator and check it over, then if it's any good swap it over for the scrapped 2nd stage. The bleed screw only will be on the wrong side as you will have to mount it back to front.

Then use a standard after market separator the type that uses a sintered bronze element and wall mount it or base mount it off the SA-6 skid. The standard 6000 psi 10.5" separator will cost about the same $850 from the American scuba compressor supply companies retail.
The tubing off the remaining cooling coil is 1/4`" OD seamless stainless tube and if you don't want to waste the end nut and ferrule you will need an SSP Union to extend the tubing to the new separator or better still use a 1/4" NPT female x Female nipple and utilise that existing street elbow off the old separator and use any brand fitting you like thereafter to connect the separator including flexible. Iain

Back
Top Bottom