Top 5 Warm-Water Sidemount Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Show me one video of someone performing an effective frog kick with force fins, please, I'm anxious to see that it isn't the worst fin out there for sidemount.

Also, I just sold my DeepSix fins because the thrust was really disappointing. For me, frog kicking, slipstreams were better than the deepsix for everything, and the diverites are way faster than the deepsix, maybe a little faster than the slipstreams. The avanti quattros should definitely be on the list. Look at the videos at www.dr-ss.com to see them in action.

Show me one video of someone performing an effective frog kick with force fins, please, I'm anxious to see that it isn't the worst fin out there for sidemount.
I love the force fins for single tank diving, unfortunately they suck for the frog kick. Pretty much any cheap plasticy fin will have more thrust, IMHO. The quattro are good, the cheaper waves are even better if you like stiff fins.

I'll have to remember to do this soon, just to settle these stupid claims once and forever.

Just back kick? I can also film some nice lateral (sideways) kick.

Just in Force Fins? I could show you some effective back kick barefoot (just to make a complete mockery of the concept that X, Y or Z fins "cannot" be used for this or that...)

The capacity to maneuver and propel oneself underwater is really ALL about personal ability....and familiarity with the specific dynamics of the equipment used.

I believe that the negative claims about FF stem entirely from divers who've used one type of fins (i.e. Jets) for a long time... and then 'try' FF for a very short time. FF require an adapted technique and those divers aren't skilled to quickly understand and adapt to the technique needed.... so they can explain away their failure by blaming the equipment...

Zack asked for frog kick, not back kick.

I've used ff pros on at least 1000 dives, they're great and they back-kick better than any other fin I have used. However, in frog kick they don't have much thrust at all due to their shape. They're designed to kick down very effectively, not to kick up ... and you're basically kicking up when frog kicking.

Also, I just sold my DeepSix fins because the thrust was really disappointing. For me, frog kicking, slipstreams were better than the deepsix for everything, and the diverites are way faster than the deepsix, maybe a little faster than the slipstreams.
Just to be sure, you are referring to the Deep 6 Eddy Fins, right?

If so, thanks for posting. I was thinking about trying them, simply as an alternative to Jets. But, it sounds (from your comments) like they don't provide the propulsion I would want.

Attachments

• Deep Six Eddy Fin.jpeg
    Deep Six Eddy Fin.jpeg
    7.5 KB · Views: 50
Could someone please explain to me how the choice of fins could ever depend on how one carries the cylinders.

I cannot see any connection between fins and cylinder mounting.
Thanks

The difference is weighting. With back mount doubles you tend to be more head heavy so heavy fins are "better" in that config. Sidemount tends to be a bit more "balanced" trim wise from the get go so you do not need heavy fins. More neutral fins would be better in that instance. Make more sense?

Thanks. I have never used back mounted doubles (just a single), so this was new information. I'm using heavy Jetfins with sidemount but - indeed - I have 2+2 lbs of shoulder weights.

Now, a stupid question: Would it not be better to mount the back mounted cylinders upside down? The valves would be more easily reachable, the valves would be less likely to hit the ceiling, the centre of mass would probably be lower. I can see fire fighters carry cylinders upside down. Feel free to ignore this question, would it be off-topic.

Last edited:
Well there ya go, with more neutral fins, you could probably dump that 4lb from your config.

I'll have to remember to do this soon, just to settle these stupid claims once and forever.

Just back kick? I can also film some nice lateral (sideways) kick.

Just in Force Fins? I could show you some effective back kick barefoot (just to make a complete mockery of the concept that X, Y or Z fins "cannot" be used for this or that...)

The capacity to maneuver and propel oneself underwater is really ALL about personal ability....and familiarity with the specific dynamics of the equipment used.

I believe that the negative claims about FF stem entirely from divers who've used one type of fins (i.e. Jets) for a long time... and then 'try' FF for a very short time. FF require an adapted technique and those divers aren't skilled to quickly understand and adapt to the technique needed.... so they can explain away their failure by blaming the equipment...

This is just silly.

1) I said frog kick, not back, and Benno explained well why I wouldn't assume that FF wouldn't work at back kick. As soon as I start using back kick as my primary mode of getting around a cave we can talk.

2) bare feet can indeed work for swimming, that's not news. Fins aren't to make swimming possible, but more effecient.

3) Extending your logic in the above post leads to your list of best fins for sidemount speaking only to your ability, not to the quality of the fin...which then makes your list (more) meaningless.

4) I could be wrong on this one, but I think I've seen a video you posted where you were (failing at) frog kicking with FF. If I'm right that it was your video, I hope you'll post it here so that everyone can see that they are useless for frog kicking.

5) FF-haters just didn't try them for long enough?? how do you expect anyone to try equipment for an extended period if they don't work well? Again, please show us what a pro can do!

6) don't assume critics are all zealots. I don't have jets, and I was very excited about the potential of a bio-inspired fin when I first say FFs. For the price I needed to see them in action, and that meant a lot of videos (including on the FF product site and YouTube channel where, one could assume, the swimmer has in fact been using them a while). I have seen them do an ok job at flutter, and perform miserably at frog (maybe about as well as without fins, an option you suggest). I am not hating on them for no reason, I WANT to be convinced that they aren't terrible. Convince me! Please! But if you show me a video of you frog kicking with no appreciable advance with each kick, then I'll have no choice but to stick to my position and fly by you with I any cheapo set of fins I've ever used.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom