Top 5 Warm-Water Sidemount Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting. Now that I'm getting into sidemount, I am looking for something for warm water, so the timing is great. Just to be clarify, @DevonDiver, is the list in order of preference? As the text seems (to me) to indicate that your favorite are the force fins.

Thanks for posting. Now that I'm getting into sidemount, I am looking for something for warm water, so the timing is great. Just to be clarify, @DevonDiver, is the list in order of preference? As the text seems (to me) to indicate that your favorite are the force fins.

You might like to consider oms slipstreams. Same mould as jetfins but neutrally buoyant, more or less depending on amount of salt.

A list like that not including the Mares Avanti Quattro looks a bit 'incomplete'. :confused:
Interesting comment. And, why is that?

I am a Quattro user for many things, and I have used them for SM (and BM doubles). But, I don't think they offer the propulsion I prefer for double cylinders, that I get from shorter, wider, stiffer fins like the ones Andy mentions. And, after all, the list does reflect, in Andy's words, 'My top picks . . .'.

I am intrigued by the fondness for Force Fins. To paraphrase Will Smith in Independence Day, 'I gotta get me some of those!' I just wish they weren't quite so pricey, and /or that I could try a pair before buying.

Interesting comment. And, why is that?
Because it has become the most recommended Sidemount fin in existence :wink:
It is light, neutrally buoyant, versatile, flexible, the only disadvantage is it's length (but: length equals power).
It can take strong current, but is also extremely accurate with small movements.
It is also hard to damage for a fin not made from a single piece of heavy and inflexible rubber (that dives like a much too short plank strapped to the foot).

Also: It is one of the oldest and most available types on the market.
If you loose one or simply travel without your own, you will find some old model at most dive shops in the world, discolored form being a wall ornament for years perhaps, but you will find one most of the time.

I am intrigued by the fondness for Force Fins.
Used them, loved them, got rid of them :wink:
If you want to save a few bucks, try finding the 'Adjustable ForceFin' variant.

Imho ForceFins are not ideal when used with a sidemount config. They work, but they loose their main advantage.
Because they offer most propulsion not on the kick, but when flipping back into the original position, they simply need a Backmount configuration for maximum effectiveness, to work against the out-off-balance tank position.
In Sidemount they are just fins like every other fin, only short, wobbly and not very powerful.

They do not work well with drysuit configs. Pulling floaty feet downwards is a real pain with them.

The Exellerating ForceFin is the only variant that works for everyone in sidemount, but it is used like a normal tec rubber fin most of the time and way to expensive for that.

I certainly like my Force Fins (Pro model). Been diving with them for years and years.

They do require a different kick, a faster kick, more of a "flutter" than the heavy hip-down stroke of Jet Fins.

Hollis F2 is a tupperware crap. Tried it after my usual diverite XT's. So, these hollis felt mushy and like someone cut off blades, I felt little amount of kick, resistance.

1) poor control, fin is too soft
2) poor kick, too small area

A list like that not including the Mares Avanti Quattro looks a bit 'incomplete'. :confused:

I agree. I have really enjoyed the Quattros. I highly recommend getting the optional bungee straps.

Just completed 30 dives in Koh Tao in my UTD fins. So far so good.

Nice article; keep them coming since they are appreciated!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom