Toothpaste and masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My process is the new mask gets a toothpaste scrub, gets spit rubbed around in it which is then rinsed prior to the dive and then gets a good rinse and soak after the dive prior to getting dried and put away.

No great issues with fogging unless I am on a rib with the mask on for an extended period. If it fogs, a trickle of water rinsed around and then cleared and it is good to go.

When I was certified my instructor told me to scrub the inside of my mask with Ajax. So I put a little in with a few drops of water to form a paste and scrubbed like crazy. Worked like a champ. I've used the same process a couple of times on a few friends masks and worked great for them as well. Now it's just a little defog every other dive or so.

I've used it on a new mask and it worked like a charm.

Never had a problem with fogging at all. wooohooo

Here in Indo, I see everyone smearing toothpaste on their masks before each dive to keep it from fogging. I guess it does, since they continue to use it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

I would think toothpaste wouldn't work as well as baby shampoo as an anti-fog. But perhaps baby shampoo is harder to find in Indonesia than toothpaste? Baby shampoo has the benefits of being a good surfactant AND not stinging if it gets in your eyes. Toothpaste does contain a surfactant--you're washing your teeth--but I would guess it's less effective than shampoo. I would also think toothpaste might sting if it gets in your eyes.

...But perhaps baby shampoo is harder to find in Indonesia than toothpaste?...

Cussons baby shampoo is readily available thought Indonesia (I think local guides were once told to use toothpaste to wash their mask and just kept on using it). We offer baby shampoo on the tenders, and most cruise directors and dive shop resort managers I know (and have dived with) also have baby shampoo on their tenders.

Toothpaste does sting:eek:

personally, I don't buy the reason to use toothpaste is to remove the residue left over by manufacture. From just a little chemistry background, the true reason to use toothpaste is the material in toothpaste (calcium, I believe), will break water's surface tension, so beads won't form. It is the same reason people use toothpaste inside chemistry goggle or ski goggle. But beside toothpaste, there are lots of ther thing will break water's surface tension. I think split is one of them. So anytime the surface tension material wear off from the lens, you should re-apply. It is not a one time deal

personally, I don't buy the reason to use toothpaste is to remove the residue left over by manufacture. From just a little chemistry background, the true reason to use toothpaste is the material in toothpaste (calcium, I believe), will break water's surface tension, so beads won't form. It is the same reason people use toothpaste inside chemistry goggle or ski goggle. But beside toothpaste, there are lots of ther thing will break water's surface tension. I think split is one of them. So anytime the surface tension material wear off from the lens, you should re-apply. It is not a one time deal

If breaking surface tension (so as to prevent fogging) were the only effect, then wouldn't baby shampoo be more effective (which is why it's what many of us use as an anti-fogger)? I do not have a chemistry background, but as it was explained to me, it's the surfactant in shampoo that breaks the surface tension. Incorrect?

My chem background stopped at 2nd year of college, so not much at all. Th toothpaste trick told by professor on chem lab goggle is one thing I remember. That was long before I started diving. then I venture into winter sport a little. The same thing was told by the experts. I have used baby shampoo for anti fog for many occasion. It works great. "baby" because if it gets into your eyes, it won't burn. I haven't tried normal shampoo tho.

And here we go...same old myths and nonsense repeated over and over. Complete twaddle in general.

1. It's the abrasiveness of ABRASIVE toothpaste that when combined with elbow grease removes residual silicone. Yes - you can use a flame too. You only do this once.

AFTER THAT:

2. Any decent surfactant like detergent (soap, baby shampoo) will work. As long as they minimize surface tension it will work. Spit, shampoo,dish washing liquid are all effective. You just don't want them to get in your eyes so use of specific gels or drops or baby shampoo are used. You can also use a chemical that creates a hydrophilic coating on the glass. (Beyond the scope of this discussion).

This is not rocket science although believe it or not, it once was. Early space suit helmets fogged up - NASA created anti-fog.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom