Toothpaste and masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in the day (the 00's, ha ha) I learned that it was important to smear a bit of toothpaste on a NEW mask to remove the film that is there from manufacturing process. After that first application, there was no reason to use toothpaste, but instead use spit, or a tiny bit of baby shampoo before each dive.

Here in Indo, I see everyone smearing toothpaste on their masks before each dive to keep it from fogging. I guess it does, since they continue to use it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, I got a new mask, never did the toothpaste thing, and it works great with a bit of spit. OK, quite a bit of spit.

Am I missing something here?

- Bill

I'm surprised that you don't have an issue with fogging, as my understanding is that all masks have a thin layer of silicone that you need to scrub off. It would be an interesting experiment if you did use toothpaste/soft scrub and report the results on this thread.

I would think that biodegradable baby shampoo would be more environmentally friendly. I remember that on this topic, someone posted a link to a product that was even more environmentally friendly, that was used to clean docks and/or boats in Florida I believe. Hopefully someone will chime in with that product again (I did not save it into my Amazon wish list).

It's not necessary to flame or toothpaste a mask before every dive. Once after buying and then every so often as a new layer of biofilm builds up.

My procedure is as follows and has worked well the past year and a half.

Toothpaste after buying. Then apply a thin layer of defog on the glass and leave it to dry until I dive. A little swish of fresh water before splashing and I can dive all day without any fog or having to reapply baby shampoo, defog or spit.

When I get home I clean my mask with antibacterial hand soap and then reapply defog and let it dry until the next time I dive.

Never used toothpaste or baby shampoo or anything other than spit with a quick rinse with water (salt, fresh, bottled...whatever was on hand). Never, ever had a problem with fogging.

Maybe I'm just lucky or maybe the whole toothpaste thing is BS.

Please please please do a search on this before posting. This has been dealt with in E X C R U C I A T I N G detail in many other threads. This will now inevitably turn into a toothpaste vs flamethrower vs baby shampoo vs spit thread.

Back in the day (the 00's, ha ha) I learned that it was important to smear a bit of toothpaste on a NEW mask to remove the film that is there from manufacturing process. After that first application, there was no reason to use toothpaste, but instead use spit, or a tiny bit of baby shampoo before each dive.

Here in Indo, I see everyone smearing toothpaste on their masks before each dive to keep it from fogging. I guess it does, since they continue to use it, but it doesn't make sense to me.

In addition, I got a new mask, never did the toothpaste thing, and it works great with a bit of spit. OK, quite a bit of spit.

- Bill

Everyone? From that region? Or divers from the US, Europe, Canada? Or both?

As pointed out. You only need to treat once to remove the protective film from manufacturing.

But again as pointed out, over time you will get a build up from natural body oils etc predominately from your fingers when de fogging yoru mask and your face on the seals. Most masks are just rinsed in cold water post dive.

A few times a year I like to give mine a good scrub in warm water with an old tooth brush and tooth paste especially around the seals. Also I occasionally use a bit of glass cleaner or white vinegar on the lenses just to keep them nice and clean.

Interestingly ever since I started to rinse the baby shampoo off with sea water rather than salt water, I get zero fogging (with fresh I may get a little around the edges.

No idea why this should be - perhaps a chemist can explain

I use toothpaste on a virgin mask and then just dish washing detergent, a few drops first dive for the day. never have an issue.

Some people do not listen when they are told things and do incorrect things religiously in the belief they will die if they dont.I so often see people take off a primary reg and then blow air into the reg inlet in the belief they have to do this, not realising that its the dust cap full of water that should be blown clean and not the reg inlet thats perfectly dry. Then they fit the wet dust cap with a smile and feeling good that they have once again avoided death. Often when you try and explain, you get that vacant stare. Darwin theory strikes again.

- Bill

4 years ago I did the toothpaste smear left it on there for a few hrs washed it and every time before a dive I just spit in my mask and wash it out never had a fogging problem
Got a new mask now coz I lost my old one and I'm still using the same technique and no problem with fog

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom