Too good to be true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JakeP

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been shopping for regs and a computer for a while now. I have been all over the board with what I want. piston vs diaphragm, sealed vs not, etc. At first I thought I needed top of the line name brand stuff.....then I started reading here. I really like the idea of being able to buy parts and service myself and take repair kits with me on trips. I need to buy two sets, one for my wife. I stumbled across this kit mentioned in another thread.

Hog D3 Zenith Package with Computer

anybody using this? seems like a really good deal. I would appreciate any feedback....

Thanks,
Jake

I don't use that specific computer but if you're looking for a great reg set....you can't go wrong with that one. I dive a Hog D3 1st stage and the Hog Classic 2.0 2nd stage and have zero complaints.

HOG Classic 2.0 Limited Edition Second Stage

Hog makes great gear! It's even suitable for tech diving in deeper, colder waters. Another feature you'll come to love about the D3 first stage is the swivel feature. It allows you greater freedom of head movement and doesn't tug on the hoses.

So if you're okay with that computer, I say go for it!

Looks like a good deal, assuming you want that computer. The HOG D3 is a fine reg. But keep in mind that many shops will put together a custom "package" for you. I have bought stuff from Divers Supply, and they're fine. You might also see what Dive Right In Scuba (DRIS) can do for you if you ask.

HOG's in general are a good deal. I've read they're solid performers but have only seen them in a display case at a local dealer. Several people I know own them and use them often. I believe you take a TDI one day class to be certified to work on them. I've seen them taught at the dive shows and once my local shop hosted one. I believe Jim Lapenta here knows a lot about them and teaches the class in the east.

I first remember them showing up here about a decade? ago. They are manufactured by ODS who also makes similar product for DiveRite, DGX and I believe Piranha.

They were supported here for years by member cerich who now has a newer company - Deep6 Outfitters which offers well reviewed products and a similar service strategy - they include the service kit with purchase afaik.

Both brands maintain forums here also.

Deep 6 Outfitters

Edge Gear

Edge is the recreational side of Hog. There's also the less active -
https://www.scubaboard.com/community/forums/hog-repair-station.784/

I'm pretty sure Divers Supply provides warehouse support for Hog - at least they used to.
hth,

I'm late to the party, but I'll throw out my two cents. I've got the HOG D3 with two Zenith seconds. I've done warm (82*F) dives, as well as cold (44*) dives with that setup. I've also used them in very poor visibility (LOTS of sediment floating in the water) and the regulators function great.

As previously mentioned, the swivel on the first stage is nice. That and you have plenty of extra ports, so you can tinker with how you want your hoses routed.

I've also gotten to use a Deep 6 regulator set (mentioned by @diversteve ). I tested that regulator (on a stage bottle) and mine at 100'. I was happy with with Deep 6 as well, but I can't say that I noticed a difference (function wise) between the Deep 6 Signature 1st and 2nd and my D3 w/Zenith. I will probably get a Deep 6 regulator set whenever the time comes to putting my own stage bottle setup together.

The customer service for both Deep 6 and HOG are excellent and both companies provide a great bang for your buck.I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from either of them again (I bought my stainless steel BP/W backplate from Deep 6).

One more thing to keep in mind OP (assume they check back in...I see they just made the one post)...while that computer has air integration, there's not a Submersible Pressure Gauge (SPG) included with that setup. You'll want to budget for a SPG, hose, and bolt snap for both regulator setups.

I dove with my Zenith (chrome) for the first time last month...it breathed nicely, but very dry compared to my 2 D1's which breath wet . I also breathed my new DeepSix off of my Pony last week...nice reg! I think I'll try the Deepsix as my primary and the Zenith as my octo next splash.

Reactions: Gi0
thanks for all the replies...ended up going a different direction and buying Scubapro mk25/s600 thanks for all the info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom