Too dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ah, deja vu all over again...
I just went thru this just getting OW cert...
I made sure to 'accidently' run into my projected instructor and a couple other divers at a resturant. The all the questions were answered by professionals and they all managed to defuse the safety questions without me having any emotion in it...and I kinda left Scuba diving (a minor sin hereabouts) magazine laying around, and 'Viola' sure enough she had to look at it, curiousity and the cat ya know:D
Eric
ps good luck, don't push to hard, but don't give in either, if you want it...

spacemanspiff1974:
...I never know what will set her off in terms of risk. For instance, skydiving is ok with her, but learning to fly a small plane is not.

Is that because someone told her the cost of learning to fly small planes? :confused:

Atticus:
Is that because someone told her the cost of learning to fly small planes? :confused:

Think the small plane thing had something to do with her uncle flying into the side of a mountain and dying about 20 years ago.

As far as diving, she enjoys recreational diving and sees no problem with it. She just started getting upset when I started talking about trimix, multi stage decompression and diving a wreck that far down.

I've decided to just leave it alone and start increasing my training and experience. By the time I acheive my particular goal, I should have enough training and experience to where she is less freaked out about the whole thing.

Actually, she did mention wanting to try some recreational type wrecks sometime soon, so maybe that is a small plus on my side. (i.e. the Rhone in the BVI)

spacemanspiff1974:
Think the small plane thing had something to do with her uncle flying into the side of a mountain and dying about 20 years ago.

As far as diving, she enjoys recreational diving and sees no problem with it. She just started getting upset when I started talking about trimix, multi stage decompression and diving a wreck that far down.

I've decided to just leave it alone and start increasing my training and experience. By the time I acheive my particular goal, I should have enough training and experience to where she is less freaked out about the whole thing.

Actually, she did mention wanting to try some recreational type wrecks sometime soon, so maybe that is a small plus on my side. (i.e. the Rhone in the BVI)

I am very sorry to hear about your wifes uncles accident.

It sounds like you're on a good track doing some recreational wrecks and building on your training. As someone who enjoying flying, tech diving, and motorcycles, I can say that each have their risks, but with the right people and right training tech diving can be safe(r) and enjoyable.

Best Regards,
Merlin

H2Andy:
"you are right, that's a very deep wreck. i'll get more experience and see what i think then."

then slowly start taking classes and building up to that:

nitrox
advanced nitrox
deco procedures (to max of 150 feet)
trimix
advanced trimix

and at each stage, share with her your advances. sort of a "conditioning"
for the 250 dive, so when it comes, it's not such a shock.

And don't forget to get your wallet out:)

divorce is alot more expensive

:wink:

There has been a lot of levity, but the topic is a serious one, both for your marriage and your life. Diving to that depth requires serious training, and a time commitment that in itself will potentially strain the marriage.

Read these two books carefully:

The Last Dive, by Bernie Chowdhury. See how easy it is for a very experienced diver to get serious DCS diving deep. See what a strain a commitment to tech diving puts on a marriage.

Shadow Divers, by Robert Kurson. See how easy it is for a very experienced diver to get serious DCS diving deep. See what a strain a commitment to tech diving puts on a marriage.

Note: I am not a tech diver myself. I just have a very healthy respect for it.

You're talking about a Heli-ox dive if memory serves. Dives of this depth are usually deep saturation dives. I have a little "head's up" from a former Navy Seal for you on DS dives. Do plenty of research on the safety involved with the training course.

DS divers don't usually last very long in the Navy. DS diving builds up severe arthritic symptoms in the joints and strange air bubbles in the socket joints that are permanent. These are known to be caused by years of DS diving, not from minimal dives. DS dives are by far the most dangerous dives. When things go wrong on a DS dive, you are nearly guaranteed to have a diving injury, some of which are irreversible and may cause damage that will deny you the ability to dive ever again.

For example: an emergency ascent from 200+ feet is a guarantee that you'll have the bends at the surface and will be in desparate need of a decompression chamber within a short period of time.

That said, there are ways around this issue. Hard suit dives. Hard suit dives are EXTREMELY expensive as is the training.

Should you decide to take part in a DS or hard suit dive, let us know how it went. I've only heard stories about DS and hard suit dives from friends who are commercial divers and Navy divers.

(i.e. the Rhone in the BVI)

good plan...that wreck will win any woman over.

Golf is the worst.

spacemanspiff1974:

My vote is for the Rhone
See if you can persuade them to do the Rhone as a night dive. I know it is a little deep for a normal night dive but well worth it.
In my case they put a strobe close enough to light the wreck as we did the descent. What a fantastic experience. It was like a 5 minute free fall with the details of the wreck opening out below. Really beautiful, that memory will stay with me for ever.

The life inside the wreck at night is also worth seeing. The yellow colours are fantastic.

This dive would persuade her that wrecks are worth visiting. :D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom