Too dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spacemanspiff1974

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I made a mistake when speaking with my wife yesterday. I told her that I wanted to eventually dive a particular wreck where the starting depth is around 250 feet. This of course will require much more training and experience on my part and is not something that I would consider doing at the moment.

My wife is a recreational diver and thinks that I am crazy and stupid for even thinking about a wreck dive to such a depth, even with adequate training.

How do I diffuse this bomb?

"you are right, that's a very deep wreck. i'll get more experience and see what i think then."

then slowly start taking classes and building up to that:

nitrox
advanced nitrox
deco procedures (to max of 150 feet)
trimix
advanced trimix

and at each stage, share with her your advances. sort of a "conditioning"
for the 250 dive, so when it comes, it's not such a shock.

Start the training. See where it takes you. Keep her informed.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

Get her out to dive some wrecks at recreational depths, and see if you can get her hooked on the idea, too!

TSandM:
Get her out to dive some wrecks at recreational depths, and see if you can get her hooked on the idea, too!
Come on Lynne, it'll cost him twice as much them! :D

But that's only money . . . the other way, she takes it out of his hide.

If I were in that position, I would achieve greater depth gradually as my experience/training increased.

When I spoke to my wife about the Tec Deep course, she wasn't thrilled with the idea, actually, she puts it right up there with my motorcycle. Now, after building up to the class and exercises, she has accepted the fact that I will have the training and ability to dive deep. I assured her that I would be taking no risky chances and with the proper training and equipment (see how I worked that in) I would be safe.

spacemanspiff1974:
Hello everyone.

I made a mistake when speaking with my wife yesterday. I told her that I wanted to eventually dive a particular wreck where the starting depth is around 250 feet. This of course will require much more training and experience on my part and is not something that I would consider doing at the moment.

My wife is a recreational diver and thinks that I am crazy and stupid for even thinking about a wreck dive to such a depth, even with adequate training.

How do I diffuse this bomb?

Lie.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom