Too dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247:
You're talking about a Heli-ox dive if memory serves. Dives of this depth are usually deep saturation dives. I have a little "head's up" from a former Navy Seal for you on DS dives. Do plenty of research on the safety involved with the training course.

DS divers don't usually last very long in the Navy. DS diving builds up severe arthritic symptoms in the joints and strange air bubbles in the socket joints that are permanent. These are known to be caused by years of DS diving, not from minimal dives. DS dives are by far the most dangerous dives. When things go wrong on a DS dive, you are nearly guaranteed to have a diving injury, some of which are irreversible and may cause damage that will deny you the ability to dive ever again.

For example: an emergency ascent from 200+ feet is a guarantee that you'll have the bends at the surface and will be in desparate need of a decompression chamber within a short period of time.

That said, there are ways around this issue. Hard suit dives. Hard suit dives are EXTREMELY expensive as is the training.

Should you decide to take part in a DS or hard suit dive, let us know how it went. I've only heard stories about DS and hard suit dives from friends who are commercial divers and Navy divers.

A wreck dive to 250' isn't necessarily (or even likely) a saturation dive.

It's a substantial deco dive, sure, but not a saturation dive.

Spending 2 days welding pipeline at 250' feet would most assuredly be a saturation dive... but not a 20 minute wreck dive.

They're quite different animals.

-Brandon.

diverdown247:
You're talking about a Heli-ox dive if memory serves. Dives of this depth are usually deep saturation dives. I have a little "head's up" from a former Navy Seal for you on DS dives. Do plenty of research on the safety involved with the training course.

DS divers don't usually last very long in the Navy. DS diving builds up severe arthritic symptoms in the joints and strange air bubbles in the socket joints that are permanent. These are known to be caused by years of DS diving, not from minimal dives. DS dives are by far the most dangerous dives. When things go wrong on a DS dive, you are nearly guaranteed to have a diving injury, some of which are irreversible and may cause damage that will deny you the ability to dive ever again.

For example: an emergency ascent from 200+ feet is a guarantee that you'll have the bends at the surface and will be in desparate need of a decompression chamber within a short period of time.

That said, there are ways around this issue. Hard suit dives. Hard suit dives are EXTREMELY expensive as is the training.

Should you decide to take part in a DS or hard suit dive, let us know how it went. I've only heard stories about DS and hard suit dives from friends who are commercial divers and Navy divers.

I'm sorry, but what are you talking about?

EDIT: I understand what you're saying about saturation divers having shortened careers due to bone necrosis, however I disagree with your statement that recreational technical diving a 250 fsw wreck requires saturation procedures. I will agree that technical diving has a higher risk than shallow (100 fsw) sport diving.

I frequently dive in this depth range. This is a fairly normal trimix 2 dive. This is typically not done on a heli-ox (helium and oxygen only) but on trimix (helium, nitrogen, oxygen).

A sample profile to 250 fsw for 15 minutes bottom time gives a total dive time of a little over an hour (71 minutes).

For a diver with the right training (through trimix 2) this is a reasonable dive.

I do agree with your statement that an emergency ascent from this dive could easily be fatal. No arguments. If you're prone to making emergency ascents then this type of diving is not for you. :11:

diverdown247:
I've only heard stories about DS and hard suit dives from friends who are commercial divers and Navy divers.

yes, and it's obvious that you've only heard stories (please don' take this the wrong way)

deep saturation dives, however, are a whole different ballpark from the deep
wreck dives being discussed here. two different animals.

Back
Top Bottom