Tongian Islands or Flores?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opalobsidian

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello again Scubaboarders!

Any feedback on which you've enjoyed more, theTongians or Flores? I realise Flores is MUCH easier to get to from Denpasar, but perhaps the Tongians are worth the effort...

Whadaya think?

Thanks so much
Shivaya

Is it the Togian Islands you're referring to, not the "Tongians?" I'm betting the person to ask is Jerome Doucet, who owns and operates the liveaboard Paisabatu II. He and his wife also have a small resort somewhere in the Banggai or Togian region. He was doing regular trips in the Togians, but suspended them due to difficulty with shuttle flights. Now he cruises Lembeh, Sangihe, and Bunaken part of the year, then moves to Raja Ampat. He still has a page about the Togians on his website ...

Togian Islands Diving in Central Sulawesi, Indonesia, with Wallacea Liveaboards

... and if you go to the home page and scroll to the bottom, you can watch a video he did that talks about the Togians. He obviously made it while they were still cruising there. You can listen to Anto, one of his dive guides, singing and playing the guitar. Though Jerome speaks and writes excellent English, he speaks French in the video and has someone doing a voice-over in English ...

Diving Indonesia with Wallacea Liveaboard : Togian Islands & Banggai - after Manado, Bunaken and Lembeh Strait

I think some group chartered the boat (10 divers) to the Togians last spring, like March or May. It was on his schedule page then.

Jerome is good about answering emails. Write to him at wallacea@indosat.net.id and inquire. Maybe we should get a boatload of Coloradans and go! We've done an 11-day trip on his boat, and we're going again, to Raja Ampat, in February of 2012. And as it turns out, we're looking for people to come along an that trip too ... interested?

Hi Desert!

Am I interested in a trip to RA...definately! Do I have time off in Feb? (hangs head and weeps silently)

Thanks again for your helpful info!

Sorry you can't make it to RA ... anyone else interested? PM me!

The Togians definitively worth the trip, have a look there: Una Una - Wikitravel
The coral is untouched.

Superdiver,
You might have actually damaged Una-Una more than you've helped. I find people who join scubaboard then post spam to be annoying, I don't give their message any credibility.
If your a resort owner just fly me out there and then I'll judge for myself, then share my honest opinion here.
I met some people who worked in the Togiean's last year and they said it was hot as hell, ok diving, and their employee's were drunks who didn't know how to show up to work.

I'm not normally cranky but the new well pump that went in last week crapped out...now I'm hot, sticky, and can't have a proper shower.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom