To Nerd (or not)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The depth sensor issue is real, but Shearwater covers it. I think my dive team has taken divetronics loaners on three separate trips due to failed sensors. I now run a standalone Perdix, Petrel, and Nerd 2 because of it. All that and I hate diving without it. It does still work a a hud when the sensor fails.

The charge adaptor is wonkey, but hasn't been an issue.

Shearwater provides a battery so you can charge it between dives, but if fully charged I only need to charge it overnight. If your doing 12+ hour dives expect it to die before you finish.

I second getting the direct mount available on shapeways. The factory mount was always in a different spot every dive. The direct mount only moves one way, so it's easy to rotate to just the right spot and out of the way if you choose.

As for the weight, it's nothing compared to the DSV/BOV and loop hoses. I'm a big fan of my chin rest, especially when on the DPV.

I've had a NERD 1 since they came out. I wouldn't be without it, and for all the reasons others have listed. I also use a Petrel and, in my case, diving the Inspo gives yet another computer. Having the cell values directly in my line of sight is a big plus - and I have my cells paralleled so I can see actual PPO2 values and can even go to mCCR if a total Inspo electronics failure occurs (and I've had it happen - handset leaked). NERD 2 has some nice extra features, but the NERD 1 is good too.

Big benefit of the Nerd 2 is it includes AI - air integration. This is great on a rebreather IMHO as you log your gas usage and get rid of more danglies.

Agreed. Been thinking about moving up for that reason and also the low power Bluetooth, but the dollars give me chills ... then again, I AM diving a rebreather (should be used to $$). :)

Do you keep your tanks in the valve-down position, and are you getting reliable transmission from (approximately) your butt to the NERD?

Do you keep your tanks in the valve-down position, and are you getting reliable transmission from (approximately) your butt to the NERD?
My rEvo is still valves down. Packaging constraints keep me from mounting the transmitters directly to the 1st stages. I have them on hoses and they rest behind my head. That close they work fine. I think I have seen dropped signal twice, for just a moment. Probably that magic moment where the grey and yellow transmitters overlap for a data point. Completely non-issue. I don't even see it show up in the data log.

See this post

I have the NERD2 for about 20h now out of the 200h on a JJ. I think is an absolute brilliant toy. Not an essential, but a really nice to have. My favorite features are the always visible compass, depth and ppO2. One issue I have is the lack of a buddy light/visible ppO2 to your team. Although the NERD is quite a bit more intrusive compared to the HUD, the NERD doesn't block my field of vision as much as I thought it would. After I get used to it, it kind of zooms out and the display is only visible if I actively look at it. But like the HUD, if an alarm pops up, e.g. a 'comm error', it gets my attention easily.

With the transmitters on the valve-down first stages, I had a couple of dropouts. I haven't really figured out a pattern, as on some dives I have zero dropouts and on other dives one of the transmitters would give an 'comm error'.

However, I would't change the position of the transmitters because I don't like danglies and having any residual gas volumes stored in HP hoses. The transmitters are also in very procted area surrounded by the JJ stand.

As for CCR, the tank pressure is not as critical as for OC, therefore I can happily live with the occasional dropout and enjoy the streamlined setup and the logging of tank pressure.

Hello all,

Looking for some feedback from people who have used the NERD on their rebreathers for some time. Thinking of getting one but it’s quite the investment so (candid) reviews would be much appreciated. Thanks all.
I have a NERD on 3 of my rebreathers, I love them for experienced divers. For students they arent great and for first time divers its a terrible idea simply because instructors can't get the information they may need from a student in trouble very quickly.

I also think that if your diving a rebreather electronics should be viewed as a convenience, if you loose them all it shouldn't affect your safety at all. Solid SCR training instills this in divers. In my opinion SCR is the most under tough and practiced skill as well as the most important at that level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom