Today's Dive Flag fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn

Technical Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The first part of this story was told to me after the fact, and the second part is my own experience.

The professional dive boat had four groups in the water and was watching the flags drift slowly on completely flat seas with almost no current. In the middle of the group a diver popped up without a flag. He was not one of theirs. He belonged to what was apparently a private boat well south of there, and that boat was carefully watching his flag, unaware that he was not even remotely close to it. That boat was also watching another flag in the area. The professional dive boat tried to raise them on the radio, but the other boat did not have it turned on. The professional dive boat therefore went over to tell them where their passenger was.

When the other boat learned of their stray (and was advised to turn on their radio), they tore off after him, running over his unattached dive flag as they did. They picked up their diver and then returned to pick up the empty flag and then go back to the other diver in the water. They hooked the flag with a boat hook and tried to lift it on board, apparently surprised at the resistance. It must be stuck, they thought, and gave it a couple tugs. I don't know if they wondered why the professional dive boat was hitting its horn so much. Since they had not turned on their radios, they could not be contacted. They then hit the motors hard to pull the flag free.

This is where I come in.

I was enjoying a peaceful dive when I felt a tug on my dive flag. Then another. What was that all about? I looked up as the flag started raising up, pulling me toward the surface. I spotted the boat at the end of my line as it roared into power and started to drag me up.

At that point, I had three choices:
1. Try to pull the boat back to me.
2. Go for a free water skiing experience.
3. Let go.

I opted for #3.

I shot a bag, and the dive went along uneventfully while my boat tracked the other boat down and got their flag back.

What a bunch of pogues.....

Too many idiot boaters out there.
Glad everyone is ok.
Hope they learned their lesson.

Mini-Season came early for you this year !

Should an event like this be reported? And if so, to whom?

I don't know the content of the conversation between my boat crew and theirs. I imagine it was quite serious. Imagine if I had made the mistake of clipping the flag to my BCD. I could have been killed.

We were on the reef outside the pier on Commercial Avenue in Lauderdale by the Sea.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom