To Rent Or Buy, That is The Question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aaagogo:
agreed,

erm... manufacturers won't say anything bad about what they did, like the AL tanks before 1990...

nope, i don't own anything other than 4 LP108, 1 LP 45 and an AL40 but i have access to tanks of all shapes/sizes/capacities/makes/models....

however, there's only 1 hp tank that i will join u on that, a hp steel 80 that is shorter than an AL62 and extremely light
So all other stuff aside, what's your take on the HP100? My personal opinion is that it is the best singles tank out there, and FAR superior to an Al80. Shorter, lighter (or at least the same, depending on the make), holds more air at any given pressure and lets you take about 6lbs of lead off of your belt. Where is the downside there?

It's the tank I usually recommend to someone looking to buy their first tank. (hint hint to the OP)

CompuDude:
So all other stuff aside, what's your take on the HP100? My personal opinion is that it is the best singles tank out there, and FAR superior to an Al80. Shorter, lighter (or at least the same, depending on the make), holds more air at any given pressure and lets you take about 6lbs of lead off of your belt. Where is the downside there?

It's the tank I usually recommend to someone looking to buy their first tank. (hint hint to the OP)

I dive HP100s and love them. I have only had 1 short fill and that was in the Keys. Dive shop gave me 3100 lbs which still gave me 87cf. I actually read somewhere that my tanks are rated at 103 cf @3500 (Norris)

i like my LP's for the reason that i state, plus, i know what they actually are rated at and i fill my own tanks and no one else fills my tanks but me :)

I bought a pair of HP100s. I dive a lot (try to do a couple dives every weekend, if not more), and I can fill air for free (I'll take em to the LDS for Nitrox after I finish that class). The tanks were definitely expensive, but I also have the freedom to dive whenever I want without having to worry about the LDS being open or not.

squidster:
How Long Will air Keep?and still be safe?

There is nothing to cause the air to go bad provided it comes from a properly maintained fill station. Even then the worst thing you can get in a steel cylinder is water which will cause rust. Aluminum can oxidize but it's an extremely slow process.

TwoBit

HP100 is *HARD* to beat.

HP80 is fun though, less of a slog down the beach into the surf.

Yes I have both. The Chica will be using the HP100 because *ahem* she's the n00b and needs the extra gas.

OTOH my SAC is very good. An HP tank of 60 cubic feet, of normal height but narrow diameter like 5-6 inches would reduce drag, be about ideal. Now if only I could find someone to build my dream tank and do it for under $300......

The difference between a High pressure 120 verses a low pressure 120 is: Both have same Cu. ft air at there fill pressure.. Real difference is size and weight. Hp 120= 3442Psi, 7.25 inch diamater, 28" height, 38 lbs weight. -11 Full/ -2 empty. Low pressure 120= 2640 Psi. 8.00 inch diamater, 29.3" height, 44.9 Lbs weight. -4.87 full/+4.07 empty. Real difference is do you want to pack bigger and heavier tank to do same thing... Your Call!

Pegleg:
The difference between a High pressure 120 verses a low pressure 120 is: Both have same Cu. ft air at there fill pressure.. Real difference is size and weight. Hp 120= 3442Psi, 7.25 inch diamater, 28" height, 38 lbs weight. -11 Full/ -2 empty. Low pressure 120= 2640 Psi. 8.00 inch diamater, 29.3" height, 44.9 Lbs weight. -4.87 full/+4.07 empty. Real difference is do you want to pack bigger and heavier tank to do same thing... Your Call!

Wow, I didn't realize that LP 120 went so positive.

That means you need another 6 (6.07) pounds of lead compared to the HP version.

That's on top of the extra 7 (6.9) pounds the thing weighs.

That's a whopping 13 pound delta when you are up on your feet.

Pete

That's interesting. The Worthington LP 121 swings from -9 to +1 lb.

I am comparing two Faber's. I have a question about the volumes (I udnerstand there is a difference between weight, Buoyancy and size)
Faber FX-120 3442
Faber HP-120 3180 +10%

Is the Faber HP-120 rated at 120cf at 3180psi or 3180+10%=3498psi????

If it is rated at the 3180psi pressure then this is basically a 132cf tank (if my LDS can fill to 3498psi).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom