To Puke in a Regulator or not to puke in a regulator....That is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tracy,
I think what Pete means is, he doesn't own a shop or boat. Pete is an instructor and uses the boats out of the same shop Elena works for...Key Largo Dive Center (Mile Marker 100.6 Bayside in Plaza 101 next to Tower of Pizza) .

Oh :)

Funny thread...

This one one point I remember very clearly from my instructor: "if you have to puke, puke through the regulator".

Luckily, the one time I had to while submerged, I only had poi for breakfast that morning. :) Big purple cloud. And ya know, fish aren't that big on poi.

Is there an alternative Brother. Do what works. .

We had a fatality in Ontario last summer due to the victim asphyxiating on vomit. Vomit was found in his esophogus. The victim was on a solo diving course and no one saw the incident in progress. I believe that the reg may not have been in his mouth when he was found, but I would have to check back.

Divers really need to be made aware of and taught what to do when vomitting is unavoidable at depth. I was told by an instructor to vomit through the reg if we have to since that involuntary inhalation could come as a surprise. The vomit will go through the exhaust. You can always clean your reg when the situation's under control. I checked my O/W manual after last summer's accident and couldn't find anything about a vomiting protocol, but I think students should be informed about what to do.

Never had to chuck, but I would definately do it through my reg. I'm a terrible vomiter, it always comes out my nose and I would definately aspirate water if I didn't have a reg in my mouth.

This same question popped up (sorry) maybe a year ago. I suggested why not just take the reg out, do your thing, and put it back in? Someone replied that in the process you may inhale water as a reflex action. I wonder if this is true (or does it vary from person to person?). Yesterday, during a very boring dive, for some reason, I thought about this. Took the reg out and pretended to blow, then put it back in. Of course, it wasn't real so it probably proves nothing.

Having done this a few times...

I am a fan of leaving the reg in the mouth. Get neutral, relax, and do it. No drama. You'll feel a lot better afterwards... at least until you get near the surface. [urp!]

The bigger problem is pieces getting stuck in the exhaust valve. Your reg will probably still provide air but you may start aspirating sea water. Switch to the octo... and clog that one up too.
:wink:

Not something I have thought of but am certainly glad this was here! What to eat is good and I always chew my food well. If I felt that I was going to hurl might change immediately to my octo in an effort to at least keep my 2nd stage clean for the ascent. Words of experience and hope I remember this! This should also promote improving one's back kick! Just a thought. :wink:

Wow. That's all I can say. That sounds awful! :( ...I only hope to avoid puking underwater!

I just remember desperately trying to get my rig changed and get back into the water, splashing just as I got sick. There was this wave of amazement that washed over me as I experienced the tantric rhythm of puke out, air in, puke out, air in. Truly no big deal - a total marvel of engineering brilliance. Also learned to keep tootsie pops and a tooth brush in my gear bag as well :) Cheers, Kevin.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom