To Puke in a Regulator or not to puke in a regulator....That is the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... I suggested why not just take the reg out, do your thing, and put it back in? Someone replied that in the process you may inhale water as a reflex action….

There are lots of individual-case variables, day-to-day and person-to-person. With mental preparation many reflexes can be managed. I consider this discussion a good start for that mental preparation. No matter how you handle it, it can become a very bad situation unless you know your stomach contents are chunk-free — See Post #16. Even then, you could aspirate stomach acid if you weren’t quick enough with the purge button.

My take on it is get on the surface on the first indication you might barf, probably quickly. I would bet against the bends long before air embolism. Even if you don’t aspirate chunks, the acid can cause involuntary respiratory constriction. Sea sickness isn’t the only cause so you might enter the water just fine.

Back
Top Bottom