To lube or not to lube O-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gqllc007

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So how many of you lube with say christo-lube or similar on all your O-rings? Say you have a new first stage..it doesn't look like any of the port )-rings have any lube on them? Do you lube them? Do you lube the regulator O-rings on the hose that gets screwed into the port? HP hose? The air spool?

An Air Spool needs lube. The hose and plugs don't, but probably can't hurt too much. The general rule is that if the O-Ring slides into a fitting, as the Spool does, you lube it so it does not twist and deform as it gets into place. If the o-ring is compressed, like the hose and plugs (and many camera housing backs), it does not need lube to seal. Lube in those cases can be counter productive as it just picks up more grit.

I lube them all with Tribolube except for the tank valve o rings for yoke clamps.

No need to lubricate static orings. Port plugs, hose end that goes into regulator, etc.

The orings on the side that screws into your second stage and air spool, should get some lube, and tribo or christo are the two main flavors.

The second stage end orings aren't the easiest to slide out to add some lube, if you use something sharp, be careful you don't damage the oring unless you have some spares.

Years ago I was taught to lube all O-rings. So now I see static not to bother but no harm and anything that swivels/rotates needs lube

My favorite oring discussion.:)
It's true static oring don't need lube, trouble is there is a big misunderstanding of the definition of what a static oring is.
Most believe that once it's in place and does not move (or the parts around it) while in place it's static, the rub here, if you forgive the pun, is to meet the definition of static, the oring can never move against it's mating surfaces. During installation , hose orings move in a spiral rotation while being installed, at that time they are in fact dynamic and need lube. You have to dig deep in the Parker manual but this is discussed (or at least it was years ago). Many will argue that they have not lubed hose orings for years and it worked. No doubt this is true but odds are there was still some remaining lube, it only takes a little, or they got lucky.
Then there is the movement the oring does as it transitions from it's non-sealed state to it's sealed state.. This is discussed in the thread referenced above, you will see the how the oring moves in it's groove while being pressurized, this movement also needs to have some lubricant to prevent binding.
The only true static (I had originally said dynamic, this was a typo/mistake) oring in scuba that I can think of is the reg ( also a typo, originally I said tank- I really need new glasses) to valve interface. The oring is pressed into a groove then pressed straight on to the flat surface in the tank., or vise versa depending if it's DIN or yoke.

My favorite oring discussion.:)
It's true static oring don't need lube, trouble is there is a big misunderstanding of the definition of what a static oring is.
Most believe that once it's in place and does not move (or the parts around it) while in place it's static, the rub here, if you forgive the pun, is to meet the definition of static, the oring can never move against it's mating surfaces. During installation , hose orings move in a spiral rotation while being installed, at that time they are in fact dynamic and need lube. You have to dig deep in the Parker manual but this is discussed (or at least it was years ago). Many will argue that they have not lubed hose orings for years and it worked. No doubt this is true but odds are there was still some remaining lube, it only takes a little, or they got lucky.
Then there is the movement the oring does as it transitions from it's non-sealed state to it's sealed state.. This is discussed in the thread referenced above, you will see the how the oring moves in it's groove while being pressurized, this movement also needs to have some lubricant to prevent binding.
The only true dynamic oring in scuba that I can think of is the tank to valve interface. The oring is pressed into a groove then pressed straight on to the flat surface in the tank., or vise versa depending if it's DIN or yoke.

+1 for this statement. To see this in a bigger picture look at light/torches that require opening to access the battery, or camera strobes/video lights, and camera housings, rebreather heads. yes these o-rings are static and never move however during the closing/screwing and unscrewing action there is friction on the o-ring. Same things when your screwing in a reg plug or hose. Now if you don't lube these does this mean the o-ring will fail probably not and yes my self included we have all installed lots of plugs and hoses with out putting grease on the o-ring but in theory it really should be greased. But why risk it, does not hurt anything to grease the "static" o-rings with the correct grease based on the use of the reg.

Lights and strobes are a prefect examples of "static but not really static" seals, thank you for reminding me of those.
The friction issue on these is easy to see and feel but the exact problems on a smaller scale are happening on port plugs and hoses.

I lube all O-rings, static or dynamic, scuba or otherwise. It helps them seal better, last longer, install more easily, and fail less often. Doesn't do any harm.

Don't overdo lube, it shouldn't be globbed on like toppings on a hotdog, just enough to create the thinnest film over the entire surface of the ring. Usually less than you think you need. And make damn sure there are no hairs/fibers on your o-rings, even one hair can create a leak path.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom