To lube or not to lube O-rings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An Air Spool needs lube.
Came across this thread while wondering whether I should lube my first ever air spool, purchased from DGX along with an SPG. I asked DGX and below is their response:
You can if you want to, there is no definitive guidance one way or another; some do and some don't. If you do, it MUST be very light... almost not visible. We don't at DGX, in my experience causes more problems than it solves.
I am just trying to do due diligence here...is lubing the spool a flip of the coin type of thing? And if I do lube, is either of these OK? The Boss 820 is what I use for my pool pump O-Ring.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20220603_105036.jpg
    20220603_105036.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220603_101553.jpg
    20220603_101553.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 26
Came across this thread while wondering whether I should lube my first ever air spool, purchased from DGX along with an SPG. I asked DGX and below is their response:

I am just trying to do due diligence here...is lubing the spool a flip of the coin type of thing? And if I do lube, is either of these OK? The Boss 820 is what I use for my pool pump O-Ring.

Thanks.
Dont use the pool lube! Its practically glue.

Get some tribolube and use only that for scuba orings.

Trident silicone lube. Use that. Just enough to make the O-ring shiny.
I have changed a look of spools that had leaking O-rings. More often the O-ring looks dry. It is a dynamic O-ring (the gauge spins on the hose), so that is a sign it should be lubed.

I guess I'm more interested in "should I lube" versus the lube itself. If DGX says no, shouldn't I abide? Maybe I'm overthinking again.

I guess I'm more interested in "should I lube" versus the lube itself. If DGX says no, shouldn't I abide? Maybe I'm overthinking again.
DGX says no lube on a spool? Those are dynamic o-rings. I realize the risk is contaminating the SPG with lube, but I lube—a carefully applied amount. No big blobs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom