To Catch the Dream: My Journey from Open Water to Dive Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaWithTurk

Bubble Blowing Buddha
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have had a dream of living someplace tropical and teaching scuba diving for most of my life. As you may have read in the introduction, this began from TV shows I used to watch as a child. The time of dreaming had come to an end and it was now time to catch the dream; to go from open water diver to scuba instructor.

My goal of becoming a SCUBA Instructor with the training agency known as RAID began with me boarding a flight on Etihad Airlines on 25 November 2017. I landed in Abu Dhabi on Sunday 26 November. I did some research before coming to this country so as to not offend anyone or land myself in jail. That being said, this is a wonderful country rich in tradition stemming from Islam and the harsh desert environment.

Upon boarding the plane I noticed I was one of maybe five Caucasians on-board. This made me feel quite uneasy as I had never really experienced anything like that in my past. I wondered how I would be received; the obvious American with a backpack having military morale patches on it, one which states "Drive Fast, Shoot First."
IMG_0899-e1515901388147-169x300.jpg

It was not long before I realized that many of those around me couldn't care less about me or where I was from and what I looked like. I found a smile, without even a word being uttered, went a long way; something that I found out later to be quite useful and part of the local culture. The 16 hour flight, which in my mind was going to be as bad as the seventh circle of hell, was not all that terrible. The food came often as did snacks and drinks and I had my own screen which I could choose from many movies and TV shows. The new movies were quite limited but I made do and slept on and off through the flight often taking half hour-long naps followed by a movie. However I was looking forward to landing so I could get to smoke but the lack of nicotine was not as bad as I had felt prior on flights from Ohio to Hawaii. The last two hours was very agonizing as I was getting sore and was also feeling the rise of excitement about the journey, sights and sounds ahead of me.

We finally landed in Abu Dhabi around 8 PM on Sunday the 26th. I was expecting to get off the plane and walk into the airport from the plane but that was not the case. You get off the plane and there is a bus waiting there which you board and takes you to the proper immigration and passport control terminal. The ride was maybe 7-8 minutes but felt like an eternity. Once there I followed the signs to passport control where my nerves kicked in full force. I had heard many tales of people not being allowed into the country and being asked many questions, having to show proof of a flight out of the country and even being drug tested upon arrival due to your appearance. I wait in line and when it comes my turn to step up, all I was asked was if my name was what was listed on my passport. I stated yes, smiled and was told to step to the left and have my picture taken. My passport was stamped and off I went to get my luggage.

I asked for assistance from a porter as I had three heavy bags plus my backpack and I had no idea where I was going. The porter was very kind and wouldn't even let me touch my own bags, insisting that I point them out and he would pick them up and put them on the cart for me. Once the luggage was loaded we headed towards the end of the terminal where my friend/SCUBA instructor (@RainPilot ) was waiting for me. I think all is good until I made an error that had one man, presumably a police or military man, yelling at me with obvious anger on his face and in his voice. I had broken the threshold of the airport and the arrival terminal however looking back I noticed my porter was well behind me. I tried to walk back towards him so I was with my luggage but clearly this was a huge mistake. I tried to explain I just walked out and was coming back to find my porter. He didn't seem to care so I stepped back across the open entrance and allowed the porter to come to me and the crisis was averted. The man was just doing his job and protecting the safety of the airport and the people in it. My dumb mistake and I do not hold it against the man at all. First lesson learned!

As soon as we stepped into the parking structure I got my nicotine fix and then a second round once we loaded my gear in to the Land Rover. Our first stop was the petrol station where I was introduced to one of my new favorite drinks, Karak. It is a tea spiced with cardamom, ginger and saffron. I am not nor have I have ever been a tea drinker but this stuff was incredibly delicious. I was also told I needed a bottle of sweat. Yes, I said sweat. Pocari Sweat is a staple here due to the intense heat and UV in the summertime but is consumed all year-long. "Pocari Sweat is absorbed more quickly than water as it contains both electrolytes and sugars that accelerate fluid movement. It is able to re-hydrate your body quickly and effectively because it has electrolyte composition similar to your body fluid." My friend/instructor, Brendon said he uses it after long flights and my first thought was it would also be a great hangover cure. Basically it is like an electrolyte IV drip that you drink. It is a bit sweet and slightly thicker than water and I have found myself drinking it practically daily here.

Continued in next post...

...here we go again (10,000 word limit was reached)

We make the drive from Abu Dhabi to Al Ain where he and his family live. The first thing I notice as we get into the neighborhood is that all of the homes have large concrete walls surrounding them with ornate gates that are closed. As an American I assume it is a wealthy area as that is who typically blocks off their homes with gates and walls.I later learned that the gates and walls are for a specific function. They allow the Muslim women who reside there to walk around outside on their property without the need to cover up. His son opened the gate for us and was very friendly and polite saying hello and welcome to your new home. I look at the size of the place and was stunned. If you stick this place downtown in Huntington Beach it would be a multi-million dollar home. His wife would later tell me that this is considered a standard middle class family home.

We enter the house where I am "attacked" by furry beasts. Two Golden Labs all of 15 months old who have now become my best friends. Myra and Bear are gorgeous dogs (Sorry Jemma) and I find our alone time in the mornings to be one of my favorite times of the day. His wife greeted me with a big hug and said family doesn't shake hands. This could be just the way they are or could be due to the local culture and heritage which I will discuss later. They showed me around the house so I could get my bearings and then led me to my room. My room is bigger than any studio apartment I have seen in Huntington Beach, California and larger than the room I was renting at my home back in HB. Not only that but it has enormous closet space and a bathroom all to myself. I would say I was off to a heck of a great start. Having arrived in country late I decided to leave most of my stuff packed and hit the rack for the night.

Sleep did not go so well as was expected after such a long flight that is +12 hours time difference from where I used to live. I did manage to get some and then was a bit surprised at dawn when I heard my first call to prayer here in Al Ain (pronounced like Alaine or Elaine with an A). It is loud and happens five times a day with an end to prayer as well. By now (6 days into being here) I have gotten used to it and the longer I stay, the less I will notice it. By the time Brendon woke up I had all my stuff unpacked and put away. I did notice that one of the two pillows I brought with me was missing. One of the bags was wrapped in clear plastic when we got it from the airport and it was at this time I realized the zipper broke which I am guessing happened when TSA in the states opened up my luggage., Way to steal from me d!cks!

Brendon needed to hit the grocery and run a few errands so I went with him to see Al Ain in the daylight. We stopped at a "French" cafe for breakfast which was owned and run by Emiratis. We sat outside as it was gorgeous out and were greeted right away by a very nice lady. I got water and he got coffee as we looked over the menus. I went with the breakfast croissant with scrambled eggs and veal bacon. The waitress also asked me something that I clearly didn't understand so I just said "No thank you" as a knee-jerk reaction. Brendon asked why I didn't want coffee and juice with my breakfast as they came with it. I apologized to her and said I wasn't quite sure what she said and that I would love both please. Both juice and coffee are typical accompaniments with breakfast here. We are not talking normal American coffee but some of the best in the world. As Brendon says "Life is too short for **** coffee." The meal came as he was explaining a bit about the culture and the men sitting outside at others table wearing different versions of the national dress. As soon as the food was placed in front of us we were bombarded with flies as this is the only time of year they can exist. Their eggs lay dormant through the brutal summer months with temperatures averaging around 97 F and spiking to over 120 F. Once the temps cool, the flies hatch. It was annoying but being raised in Ohio and camping a lot, it was not unfamiliar and much better than getting overrun with mosquitoes. Breakfast was delicious! Here in the UAE the quality of food is very important. Any restaurant that has even a single case of food poisoning is shut down right away until they investigate. I would later come to find out you do not call the health department for a case like this but rather you call the police. That was a strange thing to hear as cops in the states would never have time to investigate things such as this. The cops here and the culture associated with them is much different from in the states and I think over the course of my stories from you here you will see just how different and why they are so polar opposite.

I am excited to learn more about the Emirati people, the culture of this country and also can't wait to start my Advanced 35 course as I work to catch my dream of being a scuba instructor.

Part 2 coming soon about my first dive trip and my initial taste of the RAID ADV 35 course.

Awesome reading, having lived in Bahrain for a long period, I am on your journey with you. I love the Gulf culture and especially the food and best coffee in the world. Have fun, respect the people and culture and you will never want to leave. Once you learn some Arabic, which isn't hard once you are immersed, you will feel you truly belong
Respect to you Jez

Awesome reading, having lived in Bahrain for a long period, I am on your journey with you. I love the Gulf culture and especially the food and best coffee in the world. Have fun, respect the people and culture and you will never want to leave. Once you learn some Arabic, which isn't hard once you are immersed, you will feel you truly belong
Respect to you Jez

The coffee is amazing and I am picking up little bits of the language here and there. I am sure I will learn much more inshalla. :D

Catch the Dream : My First Dive Trip on the Journey from Open Water to Dive Instructor

I had been in the United Arab Emirates for one week when we got the chance to head out for our first dive trip. The week had been filled with lots of discussion about the country, the Emirati people and of course scuba diving theory. All that was great and allowed me to ease into the country and this journey but I needed to get salty! That chance finally came when we planned a trip to the emirate of Fujairah on the East Coast of the UAE. This would be the start of my long-awaited journey to catch the dream of becoming a scuba instructor. The path from open water to dive instructor will be a long one and the first step for me was to begin the confined water portion of my RAID Advanced 35 class and then do a few fun dives around the reef that will become my home dive site.

On Monday the 4th of December, Brendon and I got up early for the 2 1/2 drive to the Royal Beach Hotel in Dibba, Fujairah where Freestyle Divers is located.

]
IMG_0326-1-264x300.jpg

It is a drive past completely flat areas for a long stretch before opening up into mountains. On the other side of the mountain range is the coast lined with hotels and resorts that are very busy in the winter months. The goal was to spend some time in the pool working on weighting and buoyancy before doing a two tank trip followed by a morning dive the next day before heading back to Al Ain.

We arrived, unloaded our gear and walked into Freestyle. The shop is owned by Darryl and Marine Owen. I was introduced to the multicultural staff of Freestyle who were working that day. Jennifer, Allen, Chris and Kayleigh and the boat captains they had on staff. Since the shop is in the UAE many of you reading this would think that the shop is staffed with Emiratis. Freestyle has managed to bring widely traveled and experienced people from the U.K., France, and the Philippines to the shop to create a dive operation with the ability to cater to people from all over the world. They even have freelance instructors who speak Arabic and Russian. Right away we hear the dives might be canceled due to wind. Come to find out the Coast Guard (CG) decides if you can dive or not. This is yet another safety protocol controlled by the country. While I do not understand how they can make a call for the entire coastline based off of the weather in one city, I do understand that safety is of the utmost importance here in the UAE. Jennifer tells us they haven’t said no yet but it didn’t look good. However the winds were supposed to die down in the afternoon so we may get in an afternoon dive.

No worries because we had some pool work to do. First off was jumping in with just a wetsuit and booties. I had my own booties and was borrowing Brendon's 3 mil wetsuit. We sat tanks on the side of the pool and dropped our second stages in which were on long hoses. This allows us to work on proper weighting and is something that is used in the Extreme Scuba Makeover course offered by UTD. This was a tough exercise. Not getting the weight right as much but rather, trying to figure out how to stay neutral and in good trim. He had me hold weights in my hand as I assumed the standard dive position which is legs spread, knees bent and back arched with my stomach facing the bottom of the pool. I was to hold the soft weights against the center of my chest. The key here is to see which way you tip, kind of like a child's seesaw. If you start to tip head up you move the weights slightly forward and hold while your body position changes. If you tilt head down, you move then back towards your stomach, This is to happen in small increments. I tilted feet over ass many times as I was making bigger changes than needed and kept adjusting rather than waiting to see how I settled. I have found it to be very difficult to stay perfectly still in the water. If I begin to move in any direction I do not feel is right, I start to compensate which usually leads to nothing good. It was a bit of a struggle for me and Brendon was taking weights from me and putting one or two on my back. We finally got the position of my weighting right. This is very important as it is the starting point of where to put weight on your harness in order to maintain proper horizontal trim.

Once we had that dialed in we hop out for a break and to see if there had been any word from the CG. As we strolled around I notice a guy with a TDI (Technical Diving International) tech diver shirt on that had the numbers 332.35 on his sleeve. I come to find out later that this was Ahmed Gabr who holds the Guinness World Records for world's deepest scuba dive and the deepest scuba dive in seawater. He was at Freestyle teaching a tech instructor course to two men as well as to give a talk at Freestyle about his world record dive and year of planning that goes into a dive of that nature. The numbers on his sleeve was the depth he hit in meters. That comes out to 1090 feet below the surface. I have to admit I was a bit in awe of someone who had done such a technical dive and lived to tell about it, as many people who try this never make it back to surface alive.

We wait around and meet one of Brendon's other students named Mo. Mo had two other guys with him all looking to dive as well that day. One guy was actually from Columbus which I found weird as we were a very long way away from Ohio. We hear from the dive shop that they are still awaiting word from the CG. We decide to warm up a bit and then gear up for another pool session. This is when I finally strapped into a backplate and wing for the first time.

IMG_1076-267x300.jpg

Man was it tough. I rolled from side to side a lot and had issues staying down but Brendon kept working with me and before long he had me neutral, in decent trim and working on my frog kick. I still had a lot to work on as I kept rising in the water column but this was a very good start. I say that now looking back but felt like I was terrible in the water. I was beating myself up pretty bad and would continue to do so until we had a talk the next morning.

We hop out of the pool and find out that the CG has called all boat diving that day for the entire country. Kind of a disappointment as we drove 2 1/2 hours to get here and wanted to do at least a two tank day off the boat. This was to be my first ocean dive outside of California and with this new gear, I was eager tot try it out and get to see this reef system I had heard so much about. It ended up being a lesson in patience and a dive lesson in things you can't control.

So why waste the day right? We headed to the resort restaurant and we all ordered burgers and fries. We ate and traded stories and once finished Mo and his crew headed off as they had to work the next day. Brendon was trying to decide what the weather was going to be like the next day to see if it was worth us spending the night in Rul Dibba, Fujairah and try again the next day. After some discussion we decide to spend the night. We headed to Freestyle's dive villa to socialize and have dinner.

Continued....

....the rest of the story

The villa is in Rul Dibba proper and is rented out by the owners of Freestyle for their instructors and the boat captains. They had some work to do still so Brendon and I went on our way so he could show me some of the sights along the coast. We stopped at one of the larger resorts there which was home to Al Boom Diving. Le Royal Méridien Beach Resort & Spa This resort was much larger than Royal Beach. The size of the hotel as well as the grounds itself were much larger. We end up hitting the beach bar and having some mojitos while we kicked back, talked about the area, diving and generally just enjoyed the view and the smell of saltwater as it blew in off the shore I was staring at. We finished those up and off we went to get some beers to take back to the villa.

We arrive at the villa and are greeted by the boat captains. They couldn't work due to the Coast Guard shutting down all diver operations that day. With the boats unable to leave the port, they were home relaxing and met us with smiles and laughter. We set our bags down, crack a couple of beers and relax. The rest of the night was quite fun. Brendon, Chris, Kayleigh and I all head to out to pick up some Afghan food and mixed grill. Kayleigh was someone I loved talking to as she had been to Utila and did her IDC there. My original plan was to go to Utila as well. They have some amazing diving there and offer some of the cheapest training available to go pro. Not mention the party atmosphere on the island that allows you let off some much-needed steam after weeks and months spent studying and working hard to become a divemaster or instructor. We talked a lot about her experience there, some of which can be found on her own blog, Follow the White Fin. We all ate and laughed and before long it was time to call it a night.

Oh did I mention that the boat captains live in what look like little garage or shed type structures outside? However while they may look like that in shape and size they were re-purposed from a five-star eco-resort where they were the guest accommodations. It was weird to see but Brendon said they were pretty nice inside complete with bathroom, shower and AC. Apparently the owners of the dive shop plan to put a few more in for visiting instructors. I thought to myself that it would be pretty cool to live in one of those as long as there was access to the internet available. My very own little hibernation shack!

IMG_0332-300x179.jpg

Stay tuned for the next installment where I tell you all about day two at Freestyle Divers and find out if I actually get to dive in the ocean or if I am relegated to strictly pool sessions.

thanks for sharing your story...enjoyable reading.

I'm in.....

thanks for sharing your story...enjoyable reading.

It is my pleasure. Thank you for taking the time to read the story so far. There is more to come in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom