Tips for Upcoming Philippines Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SoSiouxme

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My friends and are I Philippines-bound in the next two weeks. We are spending one week in Duain at Liquid Dumaguete, a week in S. Leyte at Peter's Dive Resort and a week on a liveaboard in Tubbataha on the Seadoors liveaboard.

We are taking four domestic flights to get between the three places with tickets on Philippines Airlines, Cebu Pacific and Air Asia. I'm looking for some helpful hints which will optimize this once in a lifetime dive trip.

I'm most concerned about the luggage on the domestic flights and the food (two folks are on very restricted diets). Best suggestions for dealing with baggage restrictions? Is their good access to dairy and gluten free foods? Also, any must do dives?

All hints and suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance,

Sioux

Almost all carriers in that part of the world enforce a very strict 7kg for carry ons. You might be able to slide by or you might be asked to weigh your baggage. If you get thrown the book, you may have to check the luggage in which inevitably ends up being way more expensive on the spot than pre-paying for checked baggage. I would plan for that. Worse, if you can’t check something and want to carry it anyway...like my UW camera gear.

There is a company called ScottEVest that manufactures products that have a ton of pockets. That is my emergency bailout when I get thrown the book. They make products for men and women. I have been waved by with camera gear that is way over the weight limit - i showed them what it was and asked nicely before weighing if I could carry it on due to it being expensive and fragile. It has never made it on the scale. However, i was on a commuter jet in SE Asia recently and I had to gate check it because it wouldn’t fit in the overhead compartment. I started dumping camera gear in the pockets and it’s also convenient for traveling. Perfect for when you’re over the weight limit and need to transfer the weight away. :D I wouldn’t purchase anything full price because they always have discount codes and coupons.

Here’s a video below.

Have you already purchased your domestic flight tickets for the Philippine flights? When you book your tickets through each airlines website there is always a chance to increase the checked bag weight and not have to pay more for it at the check in counter. 7 kilos is the free limit on almost all domestic flights there for carry-on--if you are over that limit--and they will weigh it---you will be charged per kilo (about 250 pesos a kilo if I remember right). Philippine Air gives at least 10 kilos free checked bags and 20 kilos free checked bags on a lot of their flights--check their website. Cebu Pacific has a "All In" choice on all it's tickets that lets you buy 20 kilos of checked bags for much less than you'll pay at the check-in counter and if that's not enough you can add more weight for a price. I've never flown with Air Asia. As far as food goes--are you asking about airline food or the food at the resort? There is no airline food---all your flights will be around one hour--maybe a little longer to Puerto Princesa. Haven't dived in South Leyte but if you're in Dauin of course you need to dive Apo Island unless your thing is purely "muck" diving in which case you'll be totally happy diving off the coast in front of Dauin. I didn't think Tubbetaha Reef area opened up for diving until the middle of April. Should be prime weather time in the Phils while you're there--have a great time! Oh and have some patience---lots of delays and cancellations on flights there--especially Cebu Pacific!

I'm allergic to dairy. Take your own food for domestic flights.

And remember to check your regs. Can't take as carry-on. Stupid rule, but it is the rule.

If you don't yet have a PLB in a water & depth proof canister, at least register your full trip itinerary and a friend/relative emergency contact info, free of charge with the US State Department's Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

It's a resource that can assist with any problems from -for example- lost passports, medical attention referral, traveler's safety advisories, to alerting national,Search and Rescue authorities.

Food:
Cebu Pacific will only sell or pre-order food on board.
PAL will serve kind of food on its domestic route
Why would anyone fly Air Asia!

Luggage:
PAL is more forgiving on excess luggage.
Cebu Pacific is very straight on check bag but seems rather lax on hand carry.
Air Asia is the worst.

Pre-paid check bag if in doubt.

Rice is the staple food, and there isn’t that much dairy on offer, so your gluten-free pals should be fine so long as they are not expecting GF wheat substitutes.

I'm allergic to dairy. Take your own food for domestic flights.

And remember to check your regs. Can't take as carry-on. Stupid rule, but it is the rule.

Check you regs? Is that with all the airlines in the Philippines? I'll be traveling next month for the first time with my own kit and I was going to carry on my regs and camera and check in BP/w, flippers, boot etc.

Check you regs? Is that with all the airlines in the Philippines? I'll be traveling next month for the first time with my own kit and I was going to carry on my regs and camera and check in BP/w, flippers, boot etc.

Yes. Government law. All airlines.

Carry-On Luggage Restriction: Effective July 1, 2015 Philippines Office for Transportation Security has issued new rules that include ‘Scuba Diving Equipment’ (including regulators) on the list of blunt instruments that are not to be in carry on/cabin baggage on flights originating within the Philippines. Please ensure that all scuba equipment is secured within checked-in baggage on all domestic flights and on all departing international flights.

We have been to Liquid Dumaguete and to Southern Leyte twice and loved both areas very much indeed. It seems to be one of the best seasons for a long time for whalesharks in Leyte , fingers crossed they will be still there. In Southern Leyte , you will be taken to Napantao and Limaswa , both are excellent sites. On no account miss the night dive off Padre Burgos Pier , its fantastic. Generally speaking the sites across the bay are better than the side where the few resorts are, so suggest going ther if you get a choice. as well as whalesharks , we had two long interactions with a big pod of pilot whales when we were there. Apo Island and Bonnets Corner are the sites we enjoyed the most in Dauin , but the macro in all of the sites is excellent. Don’t worry about the flights , people will sort stuff like weight for you , the Filipino people are wonderful.

Enjoy !

Back
Top Bottom