Tips for all going to Egypt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as I understand, for liveaboard you have to have at least 30 logged dives in Egypt? Maybe it is not the best option for the beginners like us (well, and we don't have those 30 dives yet).
What do you think is the best place for day boat diving trips in Egypt? We are interested in reef, beautiful fish and marine animals. Seeing some dolphins would be nice. And I don't ever dare to dream about mantas or some other big fish.

Sharm elsheikh for daily trips or head south to marsa alam for shore/zodiac dives
both options are quality diving but in sharm almost 0 possibility for large fish and restricted to 2 dives (may be 3 for extra fees) per day but you have more night life while the possibility for large fish near marsa alam is higher (still low in general but higher than sharm especially for this time of year) and you usually have unlimited diving in the house reef beside zodiac/truck trips for nearby site diving... And no night life, just diving and relaxing

my personal choice is marsa alam :)

I am also considering Marsa Alam now, but as far as I get it, we would make basically shore dives there. I pretty much liked one day boat trips we had in Hurghada. Different places every day, meeting people, romantic boat trips. :blush:
We were looking at Tulip hotel in Marsa Alam. It seems to have a nice house reef.
We are not so interested in night life anyway. No party lions...

I dive from Makadi Bay and El Gouna once a year, it's all off-shore by day boats from El Gouna and a mix of shore and boat from Makadi depending wether the hotel has its own house-reef ( Fort Arabesque, Cleopatra ...)

From El Gouna the large Sha'ab El Erg alone with Dolphin House and Poseidon Gardens and several more spots will keep you busy for a week.

From Makadi we would cover the sites near Safaga , there are also lots of sites within the bay no more than 20 - 30 minutes out and if the sea is calm enough the northern spots as far as Syoul.

After over 250 dives in the Red Sea I only encountered dolphins, sharks and dugong once and the shadow of a manta in the distance.

While I have never been on a liveaboard my advice is get some serious experience before you attempt this, there is no fun out there if you struggle with currents and rough sea.

Marsa alam is not just shore dives, you have boat diving or truck trips (shore diving nearby sites)
not sure about tulip and the dive operation there but what i tried myself is the redseadiving safari operating in marsa shagra Red Sea Diving Safari - Marsa Alam - Home ( they have marsa nakari and wadi lahami as well but i only dove shagra) and coraya divers operating in madinet coraya (stayed in iberotel lamaya) both have quality house reef, zodiac dives and boat dives... You plan your dive vacation at your discretion, whether to dive shore on your own or join a day boat or go for a half day trip with a boat or a truck.... all up to you.

Thanks for all the advice. Feeling dizzy already from reading about various red sea diving sites. In their promotions they all seem to be the best. :) Now I just have to pick something suitable for us - benign conditions and nice underwater life, not so interested in wrecks...

Having just returned from Dahab, I can say that this information (posted 11 years ago) is still more or less true. Shore dive prices are about 30% to 40% higher. I gave the staff and owner of my main dive center tips--they were astounded and very grateful. A few words of Arabic are worth their weight in gold.

Back
Top Bottom