Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(On soapbox) I hate everything about tipping!!! It’s an American habit supplementing employer’s payrolls...! I hate it with a passion and wish it was included with the meal, taxi fare, haircut, or Starbucks...!

We as a country (USA) are accustom to tipping while other countries do not... Europeans do not tip and if the crew at CCV or elsewhere got stiffed by a European group then take it up with the employer and require no tipping and have the AI and actual "AI"...!
(Off soapbox)tty and all... If at CCV, you can tip using your credit card if you like...!

I agree 100%!

You know I went to Cozumel and that was exactly how it was there. I did not mind tipping the dive masters but dang. When I reserved the trip with a gal at the computer she had a tip jar. I walked over to the food bar at the hotel and they had a tip jar. I then went to the bar to get a soda with my food and they had a tip jar. When I went to the gift shop they had a tip jar. When I pulled into the hotel the security officer had his hand out. You go into town and people give you directions and hold their hand out.

Im all for tipping but geesh when it cost a grand a day on even 5 dollar tips its a little much. I know they have a hard time making a living but when they expect so much gratuities people start avoiding the place like the plague then they should realize some thing is wrong.
Wow! Where did you stay? I've never seen that there, but it could be a different in our tastes for hotels. I thot the AIs all advertised "taxes and tips included" so we wouldn't worry about that mentality. Before I gave up on AIs, I still tipped, but didn't feel pressured to do so.

I do hate all the tipping pressure. Pay your employees a decent wage, charge me more, give me decent service - or I will complain, and let me give a little more when I feel like it, but it's too late. I feel like Sam Houston fighting in retreat, but no San Jacinto and no Yellow Rose.

So you may have tipped more but because of a managers decision you tip less, that seems like your taking it out on the ones actually taking care of you. As i mentioned previously, its not like you can expect people with a job in a place of 50% or so unemployment to up and quit because they don't like the managers or owners policy.

So you take it out on the driver for what again is likely a management decision. do you leave a tip with the people at the park across the street? Have you met the delivery driver that you are calling a sleeze ball?

But you would probably also be the first then to complain if they brought four meals at one time and the four others ten minutes later or if they seated you at different tables. You make it seem as if the only thing different is calculation the bill and not all that goes into preparing for large groups and the extra time and effort needed by the rest of the staff to work to have everything go smooth. Go ahead, take it out on the workers, that'll show the owners who is boss when they add up the reciepts at the end of the night, Oh no, wait, you still pay full price for the meal so the owner or manager responsible for policy still makes all their money, its just the servers, cooks, and others who lose.

Wow first off LOL I do tip at the park because it is what its supposed to be. A gratuity so yes if the service is good and they get there sometime in the next hour (or certain occasions I understand like holidays or football night) or within quoted time. No one likes cold food. though sometimes they do give poor service at the hospital because they do know they are going to get paid either way.

As for the large group I wait till after the food arrives and then split the bill. I never said I did not tip I just tip based on how good the service was not someone telling me I am going to be the happiest customer ever in his store before I even get my food. Often I tip better then 15 percent so I would say its above average but like say its how grateful I am so thats the REAL meaning of gratuity.

I understand you dont see it the way I do and thats fine. :popcorn: after all both of our point of views are our own opinions and we are expressing them :)

Last edited:
Or when they work their tails off and deserve a great tip but the owner may have a policy to include it in the bill so you will not tip great

ill tip accordingly :)

As for the large group I wait till after the food arrives and then split the bill. QUOTE]

Most places I see the thing about gratuity included mention for groupd of 8 or more or similar wording, I don't recall them saying anything about how the bill was split up , your still a group of 8 or more. Waiting until after you get your food seems poor judgement as they have usually already written or keyed in orders for everyone in one bbill and then it takes more time/work to change it, why not be honest about it from the start?
ill tip accordingly
Oh, OK, I was just going by what you previously mentioned and the way you generally handle such things. So you will tip above and beyond for great service even if some type of gratuity is already included ? That was not how i read your prior post.
When this happens I generaly go by the recommended guidelines (10 percent for good service or 15 for above and beyond) But when its open tipping I sometimes tip well over that if its out of this world service.

BTW,
Since your talking food service industry and your in North America, isn't 15% generally the basic standard for good service , when did it drop to 10%?
Anyway you look at it, You are basing you tipping practices and how you treat those taking care of you based on the management decisions they likely have no control over.

BTW,
Since your talking food service industry and your in North America, isn't 15% generally the basic standard for good service , when did it drop to 10%?
Anyway you look at it, You are basing you tipping practices and how you treat those taking care of you based on the management decisions they likely have no control over.

If you ever look at most receipts they bring to the table 5 percent means your less then happy but still feel the waiter tried, 10 percent means your content with the service and 15 or more means outstanding service.

:)

If you ever look at most receipts they bring to the table 5 percent means your less then happy but still feel the waiter tried, 10 percent means your content with the service and 15 or more means outstanding service.

:)

Must be an Oklahoma thing, I do not recalll any place suggesting actual amounts, let alone 5 percent for bad service. While i understand not liking a tip included, I do not like it either, I will not take it out on those taking care of me, If I am that bothered by it i will take it up with management and not put an employee on the line. If it is included and service is great i can give more, if service is poor then i just do not pay the included part and if there is a problem then once again, i will end up taking it to management and not the employee.

Must be an Oklahoma thing, I do not recalll any place suggesting actual amounts, let alone 5 percent for bad service. While i understand not liking a tip included, I do not like it either, I will not take it out on those taking care of me, If I am that bothered by it i will take it up with management and not put an employee on the line. If it is included and service is great i can give more, if service is poor then i just do not pay the included part and if there is a problem then once again, i will end up taking it to management and not the employee.

Also a Florida thing and an Alabama thing. i resided in Alabama for a while and it was the same there. I have a friend who lived in Florida and she said it was the same there as I also had an experience with a restraunt in Panama City.

I took some friends to a restraunt there and the bill came with a 40 dollar gratuity included. I never saw our waitress once (other then when our food came and drinks came) and never even saw the manager once though I requested him. I had to get up and fill our own drinks, walk to the kitchen and ask for napkins so how does that justify her "Earning" a 40 dollar tip? it wasnt until we sat for 20 minutes asking for the manager from the lady who seats people that we decided wed walk out and see if they would then come to us.

Go figure they did come out to the parking lot asking if everything was ok. Needless to say he did back down from the tip after we got very vocal about it and had customers in the lot leaving and not coming in. then we happily paid what we owed and left.

they dont word 5 percent as bad service they word it as "leaves room for improvement" and that particular one is not always listed its just on some of the smaller restaunts bills.

They way I look at it is this. If you are a waiter or waitress, you took that job knowing that you may or may not make good tips. Most waitstaff try to work hard to get those tips. If waitstaff counts on those tips to pay their bills, well maybe they should get another job. I didn't hire that person to wait at my table, and I certainly not going to pay their bills.

In the U.S. there is no law requiring you to tip. However, if I get good service I will tip accordingly. If I see that there is a mandatory tip included I will more likely leave the establishment. Nobody will tell me I must tip, and if the gratuity is to make more money for the resturant maybe they should raise their prices.

They way I look at it is this. If you are a waiter or waitress, you took that job knowing that you may or may not make good tips. Most waitstaff try to work hard to get those tips. If waitstaff counts on those tips to pay their bills, well maybe they should get another job. I didn't hire that person to wait at my table, and I certainly not going to pay their bills.

In the U.S. there is no law requiring you to tip. However, if I get good service I will tip accordingly. If I see that there is a mandatory tip included I will more likely leave the establishment. Nobody will tell me I must tip, and if the gratuity is to make more money for the resturant maybe they should raise their prices.

thats my whole point exactly. I dont believe in people telling me how grateful I am in advance. I too will not revist any establishment that determines how happy you will be in advance.

I do know that there have been issues where restraunts have actually had people arrested for failing to pay preset gratuities and have almost always decided to drop the charge on the advice of their attorney. This is due in part that the definition of gratuity is "How grateful one is for the service they receive". There is a way around this though and its simply to reword it as a service charge. A service charge is a pre set fee for the purpose of services rendered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom