Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Leave it to Catherine to know the old stuff!:1poke: :1poke:

catherine96821:
they want cash fo the babies.
Is that still done in Mexico? Can't you use a credit card to purchase children, there, or is that 3% more?

no...I meant they have babies to feed so a T-shirt from some bar in Alaska might not do it for them, Wildcard.

me..on the other hand..like t-shirts.

and I have all the Emily Post Books...and Alexandra Stoddard if you need to borrow them Brian.

How come you don't wear that?:wink:

because it is nasty?

back to Tipping, THIS is what people are complaining of...banter

well, at least we are in Hawaii and not "Basic Scuba Discussions"

Why is that nasty? It's nature at work!

DiveMaven:
Personally, I don't mind a tip jar and I don't even mind when one of the crew mentions it ONCE casually during their "thank you for diving with us" speech. We've never been subjected to crew begging for tips, and frankly if we were, I'd definitely NOT tip in that case.

I have to agree with Catherine though, when the charters in Hawaii cost nearly $50 more than anywhere else in the world, sometimes it's tough to want to dig into my pockets for another $20 for a tip (for 2 of us).

I appreciate being given some sort of hint as to what the local customs / standards / expectations are. In the absence of forums such as this there is a good chance that I'd assume that a trip to Molokini is priced high enough that all employees are getting paid well and tipping is neither necessary nor expected.

If the information is provided discreetly, that's great. If it is hard sell then I see it as a mandatory charge that should have been included in the cost of the dive, up front.

It has never dawned on me to tip my local instructors or DM's. Maybe I should be making some inquiries...

A trip to Molokini is priced high not because of wages but because of the costs of doing business in Hawaii.

fuel too...Honestly..I wonder what those dive boats spend in fuel to make that run?

yea, everybody thinks we are a banana republic, but we aren't.

shoot what's milk 7 dollars a gallon?

My child is paying 1000 dollars a year to park at school. High school in Honolulu.
insane...if I were her, I would take the bus and invest the money.

She works for 7 dollars an hour, plus TIPS I might add.

It is just very hard to shell out 200 dollars for a dive day. (x 2)The hotels cost that...too, plus food. We would like to dive over there the week before Christmas but who can afford it?

Im not going to get wet and have a crappy dive for, what do I get paid? Umm, Oh ya, $60 for two dives $75 for three. Get air, load the boat, be nice to people that would spit on me if they knew I liked GWB, show them how to keep from dying UW, find critters they would never see, bring em up alive, share my air on safety stops becouse they are air hogs and can not manage there air properly, get them and there gear onboard, entertain them for an hour, then repeat. FInaly you get them off the boat and you have there gear and mess to deal with..... Oh Ya, I rember now why I havn't called to let them know Im back in town and available for work....Honestly, I don't know why anyone would work as a DM or how they survive, money wise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom