Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I've worked at shops where we use charter boats, I tip out the charter crew (non-owners) out of my tips. I don't share evenly with them, but I also don't expect them to do anything other than handle the boat.
As far as the Hawaii/dive guide required thing I would agree, I haven't seen to many shops that allow people to go on unguided dives. I think (in Oahu at least) it's because most of the people diving with us are relativly inexperienced and the shop is trying to limit liability. Still, just like when you go to a resturant it's part of the deal; it's not like you could run your own food from the kitchen to your table because you don't want to tip the waiter.
You are in fact subsidizing the low wages paid to dive guides but if you don't tip it's not like wages are going to go up. At the end of the day if all the guide did was sit on the boat and smoke, then don't tip. It's really an internal problem if one staff member isn't helping, and it will get delt with. I always prefer when people hand me a tip personally (to a jar type situation), but I still share it with my co-workers; as I said we're a team.

Al Mialkovsky:
But Wildcard you do it for the love of it right?
I could never do it full time and I like teaching more than DMing andf it's nice to stay on the boat sometimes. Most of teh people on the boat are both Capt and Inst so we can switch around. Alex pi$$es them off on the first dive and I make em happy on the second.
I do enjoy it, I have to cuz it sure aint the pay. Besides it gets me off the board and gives me a reason not to crack a beer at 10 am.:wink:

I teach full time in Oregon and love it but there, like most places, the money is lousy.

It's costly and takes much effort and time to become an instructor. Most never earn the money back for their education.

But no instructor class goes empty.

Back
Top Bottom