Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always tip 5 no matter what. Will tip 10 if the crew was cool, knowledgeable, professional...etc. Will tip 20+ if they made an effort to work with the gear and most important, if they were exceptional guides..plus all the above. Though I dont expect any crew member to assist me with gear or lugging stuff on/off the boat. I actually prefer to help them out as much as possible. Some dive ops go way beyond the level of service that i could ever expect (like seasport divers)...sometimes it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. I just want to help them out cuz i know its not the most profitable job...and most of them arent in it for the money. I respect that.

Although as a local diver, its easier for me to tip a bit more since I am paying less for the charter.

Though my favorite tip by far is taking some of the DM's out for beers. That rocks! But I guess you kinda have to get to know them a bit better before that happens.

SexSea!:
Some dive ops go way beyond the level of service that i could ever expect (like seasport divers)...sometimes it makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

I had a captain help me with my crotch strap once. I can do it myself, thanks, but as I was sitting there and hooking up the drysuit inflator, the capt'n wanted to be helpful. That certainly deflated my macho ego- I cried on the deco stops. :( I'm just glad he didn't offer to help me with my p-valve. :rofl3:

he he....oh get in touch with your feminine side.

do it easy:
In regards to giving tips, I think that the tips should go to the crew and not the captain, so I actually feel awkward when the mate is the co-owner of the boat. I figure he sets the prices and his share is included in that. Am I cheap? Does the captain usually split the tips with the crew or just hand them over? Any thoughts?

This kinda shocks me as a captain/instructor. When I work as a captain I make sure that the boat goes to the best sites, I check vis, I change gear, clean the boat, inform the crew/divers about currents, clean the puke up, banter, play good music, maneuver the boat so the passengers can see the dolphins/whales/turtles, prepare snacks and generally make the crew's life easy. For all that I make about $10-15 more than when I work as an instructor. Oh yea and when the guide takes an extra 10 minutes to show the divers something, it's my problem that the boat is late...

I've always liked the lunch/dinner/beers type of tips, but cash is great too. I feel that between $10-20 should be tipped per diver for good service (obviously bad service gets no tip). If you can't afford this then you should go on a boat that does not offer a guide service. You wouldn't stiff the waiter at a restaurant just because you bought an expensive meal would you?
I don't push tips, but I do mention that they are appreciated during the thanks speech. I completely agree that pushy tip speeches are annoying and can ruin a good trip. I also don't tip proprietors, they already made their money on the trip (at least in theory). It has always been my strict policy that tips are divided evenly amongst the crew, running a dive charter is a team sport with everybody doing equally important jobs.

ps If you're diving multiple days with the same crew, tip at the end. If you're not sure if the same people will be there every day (you can ask) then tip daily.

I generally equate the captain with the owner, but I realize that it isn't always the case. I guess my beef is with tipping the owner, which wise Catherine has pointed out is not done.

lazyturtle:
If you can't afford this then you should go on a boat that does not offer a guide service.

I agree with you, EXCEPT that on Maui I've never heard of any boats that don't have a guide service. DM led dives appear to be required.

do it easy:
I generally equate the captain with the owner, but I realize that it isn't always the case. I guess my beef is with tipping the owner, which wise Catherine has pointed out is not done.

The reality is that on most boats, at the end of the day the tips are pooled and they split it accordingly. No matter who you hand the tip to, it usually gets split up by everyone according to what they've got set up.

One comment on working owners on board. I know several of 'em, some take an even split, many take a minimal split at the end of the day, some take no tip and give it all to the crew. The common thread is that if a tipper decides to reduce their tip because the owner is on board, it ultimately affects the non-owner crew most. My recommendation is to tip as you normally would and let them figure it out.

What if you're diving with a guide who takes you on different chartered boats for several days? Do you give the tip to the guide and let him/her divide it with the boat crew as necessary? How much would you tip in a case like that?

see? that is exactly why I don't get involved in the tip chaos.

Generally, when I tip, I prefer to only give it to the one I hand it to....if I know he has to split it with everyone, then I feel I am subsidizing the owner not paying a decent wage....in fact I am then hurting the workers.
I consider it a personal gift and a token of my appreciation. Which is why I never put money in tip jars....

also, I usually give it privately, off to the side.

I mean, on most boats there is the guy that hustles and the other guy with a hangover who just sits in the bow and smokes....

taking the incentive away from the stellar employess hurts everybody.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom