Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shirts are extra tips and if they don't deserve it, for trade.

tip jars are unprofessional. i would never use them nor will i ever brief or ask for tips like i have seen others do. but wildcard does bring up a good point. alot of people dont know if it is appropriate to tip. i have been ask many, many times if i would be offended or if it is ok to tip me. i guess that is just part of it. i know i loss tips because people just dont think about it or are afraid to ask, but i still would never mention it or rattle a jar like a trained monkey. most of my dives are small or private groups so i dont have someone tipping in front of the other customers. they dont see that so they dont think about it, but i take it as just part of the gig.

my dive shop has a questionaire that we are to give to all customers. generally it is a quality assesment which i really like, but they recently added at the bottom of the questionaire that gratuities are accepted. i gave out one with the new line and that even didnt feel right(actually i didnt even know they added it untill the client mentioned it). it worked. the customer said he would have to go to his car to get $. i told him not to worry about it, but he insisted. i was thinking about blacking out the line, because it feels funny to me. it felt so funny that we even got into a back in fourth about it for a minute or two. me saying "not to worry about it" and him saying "no no i want to". what do you think?

if he wants to tip you, take it and tell him how much you appreciate it.

I did something really stupid once. Okay...no flaming guys. This man gave me a five and I was really not used to it..and I said "oh thanks, I will try and not spend it in one place!" and as soon as I said it...I thought "ugh..that didn't come out right..."

sometimes my thoughts come right out of my mouth.

makomike:
tip jars are unprofessional. i would never use them nor will i ever brief or ask for tips like i have seen others do. but wildcard does bring up a good point. alot of people dont know if it is appropriate to tip. i have been ask many, many times if i would be offended or if it is ok to tip me. i guess that is just part of it. i know i loss tips because people just dont think about it or are afraid to ask, but i still would never mention it or rattle a jar like a trained monkey. most of my dives are small or private groups so i dont have someone tipping in front of the other customers. they dont see that so they dont think about it, but i take it as just part of the gig.

my dive shop has a questionaire that we are to give to all customers. generally it is a quality assesment which i really like, but they recently added at the bottom of the questionaire that gratuities are accepted. i gave out one with the new line and that even didnt feel right(actually i didnt even know they added it untill the client mentioned it). it worked. the customer said he would have to go to his car to get $. i told him not to worry about it, but he insisted. i was thinking about blacking out the line, because it feels funny to me. it felt so funny that we even got into a back in fourth about it for a minute or two. me saying "not to worry about it" and him saying "no no i want to". what do you think?
I don't get many tips, but I have no problems accepting them if they are offered. If I were in your situation, I would tell them once that they shouldn't worry about it, but if they persisted, I would accept it gracefully. It might make you feel odd, but your client probably feels better.

catherine96821:
This man gave me a five and I was really not used to it..and I said "oh thanks, I will try and not spend it in one place!" and as soon as I said it...I thought "ugh..that didn't come out right..."

sometimes my thoughts come right out of my mouth.

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

We chartered the B&B boat for 3 straight days a couple of weeks ago and while the crew never mentioned a tip everyone seemed to offer a fair tip. Of course all the people on it were former students of mine and we've discussed tipping, what is fair, when it's appropriate and when it's deserved, and not deserved.

As I've said before, the only time I will NOT tip regardless of service is when it's begged for.

:rofl3: hilarious
ive had people that i felt tipped me to much and i wouldnt let them go until i went to the truck and got them change

do it easy:
I don't get many tips, but I have no problems accepting them if they are offered. If I were in your situation, I would tell them once that they shouldn't worry about it, but if they persisted, I would accept it gracefully. It might make you feel odd, but your client probably feels better.

yeah i know. i never had a problem before, but i was caught of gaurd my having it on a form that i just gave the guy.

You all get a different clientele over there.

We get the package junkets. Not to be rude..but it's cheaper to come to Honolulu.

Me..I prefer having a city, so I am not knocking Oahu..but different tourists in general.

Personally, I don't mind a tip jar and I don't even mind when one of the crew mentions it ONCE casually during their "thank you for diving with us" speech. We've never been subjected to crew begging for tips, and frankly if we were, I'd definitely NOT tip in that case.

I have to agree with Catherine though, when the charters in Hawaii cost nearly $50 more than anywhere else in the world, sometimes it's tough to want to dig into my pockets for another $20 for a tip (for 2 of us).

Back
Top Bottom