Tipping your instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vtxkev

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I was curious to know if you should tip your instructor? I am in a ow class and I am the only student. Tomorrow is the last day before check out dives and we got to talking about how they do not make a lot of money and more less do it for the fun of teaching. I am sure they get other perks from the shop like nice discounts or free trips, air or whatever. So like a tattoo artist do you tip your instructor and if so how much?

You tip a tattoo artist? Before or after?

You tip a tattoo artist? Before or after?

I have 15 - 20 tats and I have tipped for most of them. I tip after the artist is finished depending on how the work turned out and if he / she was cool to talk with. The reason I used this as an example is because the tattoo artist usually pays the shop a fee to work there and then they charge per tattoo and a percentage of that goes to pay for his day. Now if I take up the whole day getting a tat then he made only money on me and no one else but still has to pay the same to the shop. So I look at it the same way the instructor isnt making a killing teaching me and is giving up his day. Maybe after the check out ddives ill buy the beer and we can call it even with more training.

Students have occasionally paid my lunch during the check-out days, which I appreciated a lot. I got a bottle of wine once, too.... I never expect a tip but if I happen to get one it feels nice.

R..

I have never tipped cash for myself or my wifes lessons, but have taken the instructor for lunch/dinner at the end of both lessons, and also got coffee's at the end of each dive, pool and ow, once we both got our cert card we sent the instructor a gift card to a restaurant, and thats only because he was so patient with my wife, because she was near deathly afraid of water and he spent as much time as she needed to make it.

I was curious to know if you should tip your instructor? I am in a ow class and I am the only student. Tomorrow is the last day before check out dives and we got to talking about how they do not make a lot of money and more less do it for the fun of teaching. I am sure they get other perks from the shop like nice discounts or free trips, air or whatever. So like a tattoo artist do you tip your instructor and if so how much?

I personally tip based on service, regardless of the service. It doesn't matter to me if it's a waitress, DM, instructor, car wash , shoe shine, or whatever. They are getting paid for the service by the fee. If the service seems exceptional or above and beyond, then I tip accordingly. That's just me.

I have had some VERY nice tips-a trip to Grand Cayman,just had to get myself there and classes that did not tip at all.Another was to Key Biscayne ,I think it was at Star Island with a private boat and Capt.to take us out diving :)..it was a long time ago..
Recently had a class of 7 that all threw in $20. each and handed over to me with a thankyou.They also want me to keep in touch with them for a future group trip.

The class and pool portion of my open water training was done one-on-one (no one else signed up and the store was going to cancel, but accommodated me for a couple dollars more). My instructor was an executive of a local corporation so a couple bucks tip wouldnt have made a difference. I found out he liked a certain local restaurant so I got him a gift certificate for that place. He was thrilled.
When I took AOW on Maui there were only three of us in the class whcih basically lasted 3 days. I tipped the instructor with a gift certificate from a local restaurant and he was very appreciative.

I've had a student tip me once - with a gift certificate to our store. This was unexpected and greatly appreciated.

My feeling is that if you receive excellent service from your instructor, a tip would be greatly appreciated - whether cash or something they might enjoy. (I rarely drink, and don't like beer, so a case of beer would have no value to me, but it's the thought that counts).

Tip your instructors and dive masters!!! we need it!!! we are poor and do it cause we love it but we still need to eat! heh tips of food or dinners etc are just as great. Heh thats my opinion anyway.. I love gettin tips. we took care of an american couple for a week on their honey moon and at the end of it they put on a huge barbeque for us, bought us cases of beer and booze and steaks and left us a couple hundred bucks worth of food as well.. very appreciated as food was out most expensive uhh expense hehehe tip tip tip tip tip

Never expected but always appreciated!!!

Back
Top Bottom