Tipping your instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if you tip a waitres you should tip a dive instructor.. we get paid less than they do and your lives are in our hands!

Everywhere is different, everybody is different, every class is different and every instructor is different. Tipping is normal some places, occasional some places and not common some places.

A SB search for "tipping instructors" will give you much to read :)

"My" LDS uses all part time instructional staff -- that is, everyone has a "real job" (well everyone except me I think) and people work out for the enjoyment of it. The instructors, well at least the "prime" instructor, gets paid a per student fee -- everyone else, nada.

IF you were inclined to tip, I'd tip the DM's who don't get anything except a "good job" now and then.

BTW, I have received A tip as a DM and it was both very unexpected and quite well received. I hope it was given because the student thought I'd done a particularly good job (I had been "assigned" to him for the OW dives) which I think I did!

... and even if ya' don't tip... if the Instructor or DM did a nice job... let them know. An honest "thank you" means a lot when somebody comes up to you with sincere appreciation for what you try to put into your work...

... and even if ya' don't tip... if the Instructor or DM did a nice job... let them know. An honest "thank you" means a lot when somebody comes up to you with sincere appreciation for what you try to put into your work...

+1 Absolutely true... nothing means more to me than someone going out of their way to tell me how much they appreciated what I did for them. Well except maybe a nice crisp $100 bill :D Just kidding!

I too received one on one instruction from my instructor. So, in return I paid for his breakfasts each day before the dives, and I also gave him a $25 gift card to a local resturaunt for letting me take him away from his wife (we spread the checkout dives across two days of two different weekends). That's just how I am and I never inquired as to whether or not it was expected or the norm. I think your conscience is your guide and it appears that your is telling you to somehow compensate for your individual lessons. By the time you read this you have most likely already finished, so congratulations on your cert!

Not necessarily money but a thank you card is nice. Also we appreciate gift certificates to local restaurants, an occasional bottle of wine or even better a bottle of exotic rum. Just something to say "I appreciate what you did for me." Just a simple "Thank you" stretches far out there.

Personally, I just hate the prospect of tipping in general. I guess it's just who I am, I don't like things like tipping or haggling. I like a service being offered at a set price and I can choose to use this service or not use this service at that price.

I don't mind if someone does a truly exceptional job tipping them (in this context, it would be say if you are a very difficult case and the instructor is incredibly patient and works extra hard and extra time to help you out), but in general I don't really like when it becomes an implied cost of the service: just charge it in the first place, let me pay by credit card and avoid the akwardness of finding the right time to hand someone a dollar bill, the ackwardness if you give too little, not making others with you look bad for not tipping, etc.

If I am to become a dive instructor some day, I hope I will just be doing it because I love diving and want to pass on the knowledge to new divers. Some hobbies, people aren't paid at all to instruct (such as learning to fly a glider, where clubs offer "free" training: the student only pays the fees for the flights, the instructor gets free rides and likely enjoys teaching). And I could honestly see myself as a volunteer dive instructor (although if money's offered, I'd obviously take it). I just enjoy teaching things that I'm passionate about.

But that's all just me, and I guess that's the issue I have with tipping: everyone has different feelings and personal preferences, and I prefer just having set rates.

This is true. It's amazing how much words can make a difference to us. Simple terms like "sorry" and "thanks" carry a ton of weight.

ok well that is all fine and dandy for some people.. I am coming more from the perspective of a dive instructor working in the tropics in high tourism destinations.. i can pretty much guarantee that the DMs and instructors there arent getting paid much and due to immigration regulations probably CANT have another job.... so tipping can REALLY help us out... not to say that you HAVE to.. but i guarantee that an instructor in the tropics has less money than your 8 times out of 10... yes we are doing it cuz we love it, thats why we accept such ****ty pay... But for those of us who actually try to make our living out of teaching diving.... its volunteer instructors who make it hard for the rest of us to get decent wages.. hehehehe still I love my work... but getting a tip will make even the worst of days spectacular.. and i mean tips in any form, a candy bar, breakfast, dinner, a beer, a CASE of beers! heheh or cash!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom