Tipping on a LOB in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One morning it was different! The Bemo drivers where not willing to negotiate. It was 100,000! The reason? An American had passed through and when the Bemo drivers asked for 100,000 he paid it. No negotiation, for him it was cheap.

Yes - I was in a bemo once and a foreigner got out and gave the driver IDR 50.000 (instead of usual 2,000-5,000). The driver's eyes lit up! Then the guy asked, "is that enough?". The driver's eyes lit up even more and he said, "just little more please".

His lucky day I guess.

:rofl3:

I suppose I shouldn't laugh but I couldn't help myself.

I just finished two live aboard dive curses in Indonesia; Komodo and Raja. The tipping questions I had easily resolved itself. The crew provided service that was unbelievable. I never touched my gear, as soon as I got of the dingy the crew was waiting to hang up my wet set and square away the rest of my gear.

I had no problem giving them well over 10%. These guys glued my boats back together and made sure I had fresh clothes for the next live aboard.

We Americans may be heavy tippers and seen to ruin it for everyone else but being generous is not something I am ashamed of.

The same people that won't tip here tip the appropriate 5-10% when the do trips where it is expected of them. Rationalizing tipping less here because these people have a lower income is not something I support. I met some of the nicest people and received the best service in Indonesia so I felt good about dropping a decent tip.

Back
Top Bottom