Tipping on a LOB in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Clernix

Contributor
Reaction score
I know the tipping question always gets a ughhhh. I need a little help though. I am heading out on an 8 day LOB and a 12 day LOB. I have never done a LOB before so I have no idea what is customary for LOB or for Indonesia.

I am on a local boat and it is priced competitively. Everything I am reading and hearing say the guides are top notch and the crew is very friendly and helpful.

So lets go with a customary tip for good service.

One reason its a concern is I can't do any banking between trips so I have to budget my cash.

I know the tipping question always gets a ughhhh. I need a little help though. I am heading out on an 8 day LOB and a 12 day LOB. I have never done a LOB before so I have no idea what is customary for LOB or for Indonesia.

I am on a local boat and it is priced competitively. Everything I am reading and hearing say the guides are top notch and the crew is very friendly and helpful.

So lets go with a customary tip for good service.

One reason its a concern is I can't do any banking between trips so I have to budget my cash.

Many boats provide suggestions about tipping. For example, the Mermaid boats have the following on their webpage:

Crew Tips/Gratutity: Our Boat and Dive Crews will try very hard to deliver a high level of service, safety and professionalism tempered with lots of fun to optimize your holiday. Many of our guests use 5-10% of the cruise price as a tipping guideline. Tipping is voluntary and most appreciated!

I figure @10%, for really good service.
It is really up to you, but i like to think i have really done something a bit extra, if i feel that people have gone out of their way to make our trip something special.
If the service is not special, then a tiny tip says that i do tip, but the service was not worth much.
If one particular person stands out i have given a larger chunk of my tip directly to them, personally, as a seperate transaction, and then tipped the entire crew as a group the balance.

5-10% of the LOB cost is a good rule of thumb. My last LOB trip cost about $100/dive, I like the trip & thought that they did well to please us. Food was great, the guide was excellent in finding fishes & critters that I would have never saw them until he point it out to me like the Halimeda Ghost Pipefish, Hairy Shrimp & Pontohi. I was happy with the trip & gave the crew $5/dive & DM $5/dive.

10% is a good rule of thumb. Many years ago I was on an LOB and an American guy asked me about tipping. I gave him the 10% rule. He thought about it for a while and then tells me he has been living and working in Germany for 8 years and Germans don't tip, ergo he didn't feel the need to tip. He had conveniently fully assimilated. It would have been $150.

Back
Top Bottom