Tipping - how much and are we cheap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still contend that the traditional "cause and effect" roles of tipping are often backwards. Tipping well can often cause fantastic service *later*. If you find someone who gives you good service, tip them well and they will give you even better service in the future. If you're diving with the same operator over several days, tipping even $10 a tank after the first day can have remarkable results. Besides, they're working hard and deserve it if they're doing a good job.

Now that I've said that, I want to state for the record that I have always tipped well for good service and that I noticed the repeat-business benefits relatively recently. But, now that I've noticed it, it gives me an even bigger incentive to tip well.

Like it or not, a reasonable tip--a tip commensurate with the type and level of service provided--is customary, appropriate and yes, even expected, in the United States.
You can intellectualize it, debate it, excuse it, explain it, and obfuscate it all you want--there's always a reason not to do the right thing--but if you don't tip, or don't tip fairly, you're nothing but a cheapskate.

labaum:
Like it or not, a reasonable tip--a tip commensurate with the type and level of service provided--is customary, appropriate and yes, even expected, in the United States.
You can intellectualize it, debate it, excuse it, explain it, and obfuscate it all you want--there's always a reason not to do the right thing--but if you don't tip, or don't tip fairly, you're nothing but a cheapskate.

The word 'lemming,' comes to mind.

Why question when you can simply follow...

- ChillyWaters

You're from Canada, no one in the world expects you to tip well. Like I said, you can make it a big economic issue or couch it as a blow for personal freedom....or simply stiff the person who deserves a tip.

Hmm. I never received any tips DMing - noone in Denmark that I've heard of does. They're crying so hard over the costs of rental equipment, already, that drysuits should be considered standard equipment.

And rightly so too, because all included, prices quickly reach like 30-40 bucks a dive even though I DM just for the gear discounts and the sheer hell of it.

I'm getting weepy too.

But then of course it's not my living ...

Generally $5/per tank/per diver for basic service. We're pretty low-maintenance divers and don't need a lot of fauning over. For service above and beyond we may tip more as circumstances dictate: A couple of years ago our daughter's alternate hose got caught on the railing and ripped off as she did her giant stride. With 3,000psi screaming out of her first stage while bobbing in the water, she panicked. The DM immediately jumped in and did a textbook rescue-of-panicked-diver-at-the-surface. We were more than happy to give him a very generous tip that day.

labaum:
Like I said, you can make it a big economic issue or couch it as a blow for personal freedom....or simply stiff the person who deserves a tip.

First, I never said I didn't tip, just that I don't really believe it to be fair among all low-income earners, as well as I dislike "hidden" charges (taxes, tips, etc.). There are MANY countries that don't believe in tipping. I don't think all those countries are generally cheap, but they have a different way of dealing with the issues behind the reasons Americans tip. I have said previously that it is generally a cultural issue.

See post #96 for my reasoning. Then perhaps address my points instead of making blatant, assumptuous attacks.

- ChillyWaters

Chilly, you must be awfully defensive and a bit guilty about not tipping. My first post wasn't directed at you. Yet you overreacted, assumed it was, and responded with the lemming remark and talk of your great leadership skills.
Now I'm the bigot and who speaks in generalities.
Tipping is a personal matter. Like I said, stiff who you want, talk about macro-economics and cultural differences all you want. As long as that let's you defend and excuse your actions then go for it.

Please grow up people!

If you want to tip, but don't know how much, then give 10-20% of the cost and you will be okay and noone is likely to talk bad about you.

If you do not want to tip then don't, but please be big enough in your decision not to give a damn about what others think. Rationalization about why or why not is not significant to the original question here.

If you can't or won't part with your money, get some thick skin. I for one am tired of your bellyaching.

labaum:
Chilly, you must be awfully defensive and a bit guilty about not tipping. My first post wasn't directed at you. Yet you overreacted, assumed it was, and responded with the lemming remark

I know your first post wasn't aimed it me, but it still screamed LEMMING!, and thus I responded. Am I only allowed to speak when spoken to or something? Is that something you expect of us cheap canadians too?

labaum:
and talk of your great leadership skills.
Really? I did?

labaum:
Now I'm the bigot and who speaks in generalities.
Yup, that appears to be you. Nice recognition.

labaum:
Tipping is a personal matter. Like I said, stiff who you want, talk about macro-economics and cultural differences all you want. As long as that let's you defend and excuse your actions then go for it.

Okay, tipping is a personal matter. I can do what I want. Nice, then why all the fuss... oh yeah...

labaum:
but if you don't tip, or don't tip fairly, you're nothing but a cheapskate.
Oh, I see, you don't really mean that it is a personal matter and I can do what I want. Perhaps you could address my post #96. Oh wait, I've already asked that, and you didn't. I forgot, you speak in generalities. I forgot, that is a sure way to progress a discussion. My bad. What was I thinking?

- ChillyWaters

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom