Tipping DM in Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not talking about any increase, I'm talking about forward a fair part of your income to your workers, if you aren't doing this, you do not deserve to run a business. This is what happens in the civilized world: have to rely on a unstable income (tips) is not. Tips should be an additional amount at the top of a fair salary.
Don't be greedy and pay your workers adequately, this is my point, and it's not just my point of view it is the only right thing to do.
What is the business that you own?

I went there last year, none was tipping (and the service was OK with Dive Paradise). I was diving with ppl from USA, Japan, North Europe. I tipped in two occasions ($15 for four dives) because of the nice guy who guided us.

They doesn't seem to expect any tip to be honest, in fact they were pretty surprised when I tipped.. so I'm not sure where this "tip rule" comes from or if Dive Paradise is a "special case" in Cozumel.

Tip is a grateful gesture when you receive an exceptional treatment not the norm, if it's a mandatory thing it would be included int he dive prices.

I see you are from Spain. Europeans have a reputation for being low tippers, which could explain the surprise. I tip 20% for expected levels of service, sometimes more, sometimes less - to zero for crap service. So, on a $100 two tank dive trip it will be $10 a tank.

I see you are from Spain.
I wonder why Location does not show up on posts by npole? He has it on his profile, but it doesn't show on his posts.

I tip 20% for expected levels of service
That's what I hate about tipping. I bet it started out as 10%, for better than expected services. Then it evolved to 15%, and for expected levels. Now you plan on 20%, and I've even read news articles that many NYC restaurants are expecting 30%.

I grew up farming & cowboying and never received tips at any work I've ever had, so have been dealing with this resistance since.

I wonder why Location does not show up on posts by npole? He has it on his profile, but it doesn't show on his posts.

That's what I hate about tipping. I bet it started out as 10%, for better than expected services. Then it evolved to 15%, and for expected levels. Now you plan on 20%, and I've even read news articles that many NYC restaurants are expecting 30%.

I grew up farming & cowboying and never received tips at any work I've ever had, so have been dealing with this resistance since.
I'm getting close to saying "nothing" when whoever is taking payment ASKS how much I want to tip. This thing is out of hand. In our business, mechanics, towing, unlocks, people sometimes tip for great service. My guys see it as a real pat on the back. It may be $5 on a $100 service. It is not what they depend on to live on. If true that Asians tip almost nothing and Europeans tip less than Americans it means that Americans are paying the wages for everybody.

I refuse to play. 15% is what it was when I grew up and what it will remain until I die. Percentage scales with inflation.

I refuse to play. 15% is what it was when I grew up and what it will remain until I die. Percentage scales with inflation.
I’ve never seen 30% requested in nyc...the new receipts show different levels such as 15/18/20/, but 30 is excessive and restaurants do not expect their customers to pay such....now if one had a great day in the market and drops 50%....well good on that server.

Now you plan on 20%, and I've even read news articles that many NYC restaurants are expecting 30%.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think that's a bit of a different animal. NYC is known for a very high cost of living, and waiting tables covers a tremendous range of services - some waiters might only a handful of tables per night. In CZM there is some variation in DM/crew service, but baseline is going to be pretty similar. (Not trying to start an argument here; yes there are differences.)

Sheeeesh.... Here I am, saving peoples lives in the ER, and do I get a tip? Nope. All I get are emails from the admins whining about paperwork.

I think you have to give your customers a better experience when you save their life, then you start getting tip ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom