Tiny tube of aqua seal to glue on a pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last time I glued on a pocket to a wetsuit I followed instructions* and used nearly an entire 4 oz can of McNett Seal Cement (black contact cement for neoprene.) That included several initial coats to fill the pores of the neoprene. It seems incredibly secure, but supposedly can be removed using a strong solvent. At the time I decided coating the entire back of the pocket was overkill, and resolved to just coat a 1" outline in the future.

I just bought another pocket, this time a Highland, and it came with a tiny little tube of aquaseal and a baby-sized brush. It's hard to imagine this would let me glue down even the perimeter of the pocket. Is that REALLY enough to properly attach a pocket?

*previous instructions were from John at Northeast Scuba Supply. He prefers seal cement because aquaseal isn't as flexible when it dries. Does anyone who has used aquaseal for a pocket find it too stiff?

U used aquaseal to glue a pocket on and didnt notice it being excessively stiff once the pocket was there you could tell the material was doubled or tripped but with stuff in it it wansnt flexible anyway.

I bought the big tube of aquaseal and buttered the entire back of the pocket and havent lost it yet.

I would stick with what I know will work.
(Devil I know is generally less confounding)

Last edited:
The issue is not so much stiffness, as the fact that the neoprene wetsuit will stretch when you put it on and move around and the Aquaseal does not stretch. This leads to the neoprene tearing around the edges of the Aquaseal eventually. Seal cement (aka neoprene cement) is flexible and stretches with the neoprene, hence no tearing.

I've had a number of glue-on pockets over the years - Light Monkey, Halcyon, Highland, Oxycheq, you name it. I've always used Aqua seal and have never once had an issue with flexibility, or tearing. They've held up to years of sunlight and hundred of dives. In fact the stuff is impossible to get off. I've had to cut off the neoprene under the wetsuit to salvage the pocket once I was done with the wetsuit.

I've had a number of glue-on pockets over the years - Light Monkey, Halcyon, Highland, Oxycheq, you name it. I've always used Aqua seal and have never once had an issue with flexibility, or tearing. They've held up to years of sunlight and hundred of dives. In fact the stuff is impossible to get off. I've had to cut off the neoprene under the wetsuit to salvage the pocket once I was done with the wetsuit.
That's great to know, but to my original question, is the tiny 1/2 oz tube of Aquaseal supplied with the Highland pocket really enough to hold it firmly?

That's great to know, but to my original question, is the tiny 1/2 oz tube of Aquaseal supplied with the Highland pocket really enough to hold it firmly?
Not in my experience. Probably 2-3oz is more realistic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom