Replacing DUI Neopene socks with Northern Diver socks - any tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I got a used TLS-350 suit for my son that fits great except for the socks. They are a little small so he had to steal my good thinsulate socks to wear.

Based on some recommendations here I ordered some Northern Diver drysuit boots. They were cheap so I ordered to sizes and picked the one that fits him best (they were something like $45 for two pairs + shipping to the US)

I've got a small can of drysuit glue from DRIS, along with their neoprene seal tape stuff for the outer layer.

I'm planning to follow the instructions in this video:

1. Mark the inside center of the leg
  2. Cut the old socks off the suit.
  3. Cut the new socks down to the right length (the new ones are a lot longer than the older ones)
  4. Turn the replacement sock inside out
  5. Turn the suit inside out
  6. Put a form in the leg to hold it (I saw another video that suggested a 2L soda bottle with a towel wrapped around it, then wrapped in a plastic bag made it the right size)
  7. Pull the new sock over the form, line the new sock up with the center line and pointed in the right direction
  8. Scrape up the glueing surface of the drysuit and the new thing with sandpaper
  9. Clean the surfaces I'm going to apply glue to with acetone
  10. Roll the cuff of the new sock down, apply layers of the drysuit glue around the outer edge of it and the leg (several coats, letting them dry between each coat, then on the last coat letting it dry for about 5 minutes)
  11. Roll that part of the cuff back up onto the suit (contact cement touching contact cement)
  12. Use a seam roller to get a good adhesion
  13. Let it dry for maybe 20 minutes
Then tape the outside to make it look better / get a good seal
  1. Turn suit right-side out
  2. Put masking-tape down around the leg the thickness of the sealing tape apart
  3. Apply layers of drysuit glue around the leg, let dry, then let the last layer dry for about 5 minutes until it's just tacky
  4. Apply the tape stuff to the outside
  5. Roll with the seam roller
Aqua-seal the inside of the seam
  1. Turn suit inside-out again
  2. Go over the entire seam on the inside edge with aqua-seal
Does this sound about right? Any tips / tricks or gotchas I should be aware of first?

Did you ever get anywhere with this?

Yes. I followed those steps and got the socks glued on. I'll try to dig up some pictures later and post them.

They turned out well and didn't leak at all.

It used a little bit more than a small can of the drysuit glue from DRiS, I got a small can of the wood weld plastic cement for the last couple of coats. The wood weld stuff is similar, but definitely not identical to the DRIS drysuit glue. (slightly different color, smell, viscosity, etc)

Hello

the video shows how to replace boots with socks. You can‘t turn a boot inside out. BTW, I would never simply cut of the boot but rather heat the seam such that bonding comes loose and I pull off tape and boot.

Best wishes Jens

Hello

the video shows how to replace boots with socks. You can‘t turn a boot inside out. BTW, I would never simply cut of the boot but rather heat the seam such that bonding comes loose and I pull off tape and boot.

Best wishes Jens
For the DUI suit, it had socks originally on it and they were stitched on. Cutting them off carefully was easier than removing the seams, but if I had to do it over I'd probably seam rip it all first and try to heat the seal to remove the socks to get a slightly more straight edge.

Yes. I followed those steps and got the socks glued on. I'll try to dig up some pictures later and post them.

They turned out well and didn't leak at all.

It used a little bit more than a small can of the drysuit glue from DRiS, I got a small can of the wood weld plastic cement for the last couple of coats. The wood weld stuff is similar, but definitely not identical to the DRIS drysuit glue. (slightly different color, smell, viscosity, etc)

@Tracy said he uses Pliobond LV 25 and it won't get brittle when cold. I have no idea what the stuff DRiS uses is. The DRiS stuff is all I've used but once out I plan to try the other stuff.. I think I'll get it for the zipper I need to replace.

I look forward to your pictures. It always takes me 3 times as long as I think it will but I've learned a lot doing my own work and I've saved a good chunk of money doing it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom