Times need to score 5 points on stamina tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jardine

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
What times do you have to beat to score a 5 on each of the stamina tests? I've read alot about what is required for treading water but want to know what I have to do for the 400 swim, 800 snorkel, and TDT...

Thanks,

Bruce

Of all the people I know and I have heard of only a professional swimmer did the 400 and the snorkel so quick to get 5 points. I remember that after my swim test which I did pretty well got a 4 so when it came to the snorkel test I relaxed. I did the test with another woman DMT and she did way faster than me. She didn't get 5 and I still got 4. So I would suggest you to just keep the pace and if you are a good swimmer you get two 4 without problems.

Yeah, what he said...It's funny when people say "yeah I got all 5 on those," but they're so obviously out of shape that they are more likely to have won the lottery the same day they did the stamina tests.

I got only two "5" scores in the stamina tests - the tow (just over 1:40) and tread (super easy). The others, no way I could get a 5 w/o some serious swim training (and maybe a current).

Absolutely. ONE DM candidate at our LDS recently got a 5 on the 400. And he was a very serious competitive swimmer. He was the first one EVER. I'm 55 and haven't seriously swam in 39 years. Am able to FINISH the 400 now, and maybe within a month get a 2. Yet, I've been told on a different sub forum I should be able to roll out of bed and do 400, 600, or 800 with no problem anytime. Swimming is a sport and a skill, unlike the other 3 stamina exercises. It takes months if not years of practise to get those kinds of times. And that's if you're lucky enough to live anywhere near a pool. Anyway, does anyone have the metric times for the 400?

See previous post:

400y in under 6 minutes, 400m in under 6:30
800y under 13 minutes, 800m in under 14min
100y tow under 2 minutes, 100m in under 2:10

I totally agree. I was able to get 4's on the swims. I think I might have been able to get 5's if it wasn't for the long-lasting effects of H1N1. In the end, 5's would have been for bragging rights, nothing more.

If you really want to go for all 5's, go for it. I know of only one person who came close (got a 4 on the tired diver tow, but otherwise got 5's). He was a competitive swimmer.

I played the numbers game. I looked for how to get 13-14 points and that would put me over the 12 point requirement safely. (5 for float, and 3 for everything else) I put my time, instead, into getting the 20 skills down perfect. That is where I shot for 5's.

Actually, I'd like to find out the metric times for all the scores (ei.- for the 400 meters what do I need for a 2? A 3?).

Sorry my bad...

400 yards / 400 metres
5 = under 6 min / under 6 min, 30 sec
4 = 6 to 8 min / 6 min, 30 sec to 8 min, 40 sec
3 = 8 to 10 min / 8 min, 40 sec to 11 min
2 = 10 to 12 min / 11 to 13 min
1 = more than 12 min / more than 13 min

800 yards / 800 metres
5 = under 13 min / under 14 min
4 = 13 to 15 min / 14 to 16 min, 30 sec
3 = 15 to 17 min / 16 min, 30 sec to 18 min, 30 sec
2 = 17 to 19 min / 18 min, 30 sec to 21 min
1 = more than 19 min / more than 21 min

Of all the people I know and I have heard of only a professional swimmer did the 400 and the snorkel so quick to get 5 points.

What constitutes a professional swimmer?

I know of a 42 yo candidate who missed all 5's by less than 5 sec on either the snork or swim (can't remember which). This was all before lunch and the Instructor gave the option to swim again after lunch with the others who needed better times to pass.

This candidate had undergone full shoulder reconstruction surgery 3 months prior and knew he could do it so what was the point; a pass is a pass. :D

Back
Top Bottom