Times need to score 5 points on stamina tests

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yet, I've been told on a different sub forum I should be able to roll out of bed and do 400, 600, or 800 with no problem anytime. Swimming is a sport and a skill, unlike the other 3 stamina exercises. It takes months if not years of practise to get those kinds of times.

You were told that if you are to really be worthy of the title dive pro you should be able to roll out of bed and do those swims with no trepidation (or sum such). If one stays in shape and is truly a water person, the months/years of training as a child are all that is necessary.

A DM is expected to be able to save people in the water. If you are only able to finish a 400m swim, what would you do if the boat was swamped and you needed to help someone 400m to shore?

I got a 5 on the tread, a 4 on the tow, a 2 on the 800m (probably ****ty technique and not preparing properly), and a 1 on the 400m(didn't care enough to exhaust myself when all I needed was a 1).

If I needed to help someone 400m from shore, I'd use a boat. Or call the coast guard. 400m is a LONG way to go when someone is panicking. They will most likely exhaust themselves before you're able to swim out there with your exposure protection and a weight belt on. You do remember about them always mentioning you should use your fins and a mask when entering the water to rescue someone, right?

Yes I see your point halemano, and I'm sure that remote possibility could happen. I intend to continue my excercise routines to get into better shape, score better on the tests and remain that way. I'm really in pretty decent shape to begin with and did fine on the other 3 tests, I just am taking a damn long time to get my swimming back to where it was in 1970. I would think also that as a DM, I would have my fins (mask & snorkel) either on or very close by if the boat were in that much trouble. I would imagine it would be quite difficult for anyone in any shape to tow someone 400 meters free style. It could, and I'm sure has been done (lifeguards, who swim and train without fins DAILY). But I would guess it would be quite difficult for your average DM/Instructor. I wonder how many certified DMs/Instructors continue to keep their free style swimming in good enough shape after passing the tests to do this type of rescue. I may be completely wrong on this. I pretty much agree with vjanelle, but I'm sure this discussion could (and has elsewhere) gone on forever.

400m is the distance to shore from the St. Anthony wreck off Mokapu Beach, Wailea, Maui. It is less than a mile from the small boat ramp. There are a number of less than 20' boats that could make a dive on that location, but 2 or 3 people gearing up in a 20' boat can be sketchy. You may not think you could ever end up swamped without your m,s&f's but people have in similar situations. A DM should be able to help another person to shore from that hypothetical situation IMHO.

I agree completely. I've been in that situation here in Nova Scotia with the 2 of us in a boat smaller than that. There are other questions, however. It may be questionable to be in that situation to begin with (a call you would make as a DM)-though I have been as stated. We are very careful of weather forcasts (though I know about rogue waves and sudden storms). Another question is what kind of a boat are you in that would sink unless split in two by a reef? Would you not first consider hanging on to the capsized boat before making that long swim towing someone? Granted, up here that could mean exposure trouble if you weren't in your 7 mil- even if you were. What about life jackets, flotation devices, BCDs--all sunk? Have you let someone know where you are in case of disaster? If it's not a rogue wave and weather is looking to get real rough do you have communications--cell phone may not work, but a radio to contact the coast guard or someone? I feel these would be better options. The long swim may just be the only recourse, slim as that chance may be, so to that end I do agree with you. I don't know how to set up one of those polls, but it would be interesting to know what % of pros continue swim training and feel they could make that long swim tow.

Keep in mind things like stopping and treading water disqualify you from completion of the 400. You guys are picking at the fringe edges of situations where even if you were fully geared you might be impossible to rescue without a helicopter.

Most of these tests are timed this way to either allow you to make up for weaker areas (5 point tread, etc) vs individual swimming ability. I'm still doing swimming lessons as an adult and I'm still trying to improve my personal abilities in the water, but a lot of being a DM doesn't necessarily mean you'll be in the water, or in a situation where you'll need to be the person retrieving them(you'll probably have other CPR/Rescue trained divers and staff with you for example).

Also keep in mind the 800 is the only swim test in the IE(IDC?)

It's true that whether you score a 3, 4, or 5 on all your stamina tests, you'll still pass. I guess it does all come down to bragging rights and a feeling of personal accomplishment. I swim laps at the local high school pool most mornings although business trips and the holidays have made it less frequent these last two months. I get a lot of enjoyment out of being in the water and it's a great way to keep in shape. I swim between 1.5 to 2 miles a day but I would have to step up my pace to get a 5 in the 400. The 800 snorkel appears to be much easier. I average 55 seconds per 50 meter lap on my second mile usually when I swim every day. For me, pushing it to get a five in the 400 would be a worthy personal goal.

I think that as a divemaster, you should be able to pass these tests at about anytime. If you are a working professional, this is a minimum level of fitness/stamina that you should maintain. You should be a better swimmer than most of the students you are watching or helping out with. After all, what do you think of when you see the fat cop in the donut shop?? "Good luck running any criminal down, right?" Do you want to be the divemaster version of that guy?

Jardine, When I see the fat cop I think he's out of shape. I'm old, but not out of shape. You swim 1.5-2 miles daily but would have to step it up to get a 5. Interesting. I swim once weekly as the local pool is 60 miles away. I know, my problem. You're a "real" swimmer like my brothers, who compete in 2 mile ocean swims. You have, over a long time, developed those muscles required for extensive swimming. You mentioned the 800 snorkel appears to be much easier. It is. Arms are not required, nor allowed, which is how we dive. Arms and stroke are 75% of swimming. All I'm really saying is that it is a totally different animal and is a sport. I swim quite well and was on the HS swim team way back. So, I'm struggling big time on the 400, but definately getting there. When certified, I feel my swimming ability will be more than good enough, though I still can't figure when I'd have to go without fins. If a boat capsized, everything sunk and a guy was unconscious in need of a tow like 400 meters I wouldn't be swimming, I'd be towing and praying.

PADI set this standard and PADI can state the rationale. These are stamina tests, not rescue scenarios. As a tender 56 year old (now 57) who obtained my DM and OWSI certs this year, I actually enjoyed them. Back in my youth (when I had hair), I was an ocean lifeguard and swam competitively, but in no way am I in the same shape as back then. Even so, I believe that having some threshold of physical fitness is a basic criteria of a DM & OWSI job. This is an attempt at achieving a criteria by offering a variety of skills that candidates may do a little better in some, than others. The practical application of these is subject to so many variables - the most obvious are the environment and circumstances.
Bottom line is that these are measurements of physical fitness.

Back
Top Bottom