Time to thin the herd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, I would ask why you would question those figures? Were the methods flawed? Do you know of other data that contradict these? Second, if you understand something about bioaccumulation, then you know that there is a big difference between eating a 3 year old gag grouper and a 15+ year old goliath grouper.

I'll take the 3 year old grouper any day.

So, like I said, I don't think now is the time to begin recreational harvest and this proposal was not going to do that. IIRC, they were going to sell ~100 tags for $300 a pop and the fish had to be turned over to the FWC for research. Frankly, who the hell would do that? It's not illegal to catch and release them. Why pay $300 to kill it and release it to the FWC.

But here are some thoughts. In the first paragraph of Tridacna's article it says this.

Chris Malinowski, a PhD student at Florida State University, who is searching for answers that can protect this giant fish

Now, that does not sound like someone doing impartial research. It sounds like someone with an agenda. Florida State, so I'm not surprised. :D

Setting his blog post aside, I know about 20% of groupers across all species contain mercury at levels higher than the consumption guidance set by the EPA. Black grouper have been found to have some of the highest levels. I agree with you that older, bigger fish are going to have the highest amounts, but you're comparing apples and oranges. A 3 year old Gag and a 3 year old Goliath would likely have the same levels since they are both coastal groupers.

Last edited:
A 3 year old Gag and a 3 year old Goliath would likely have the same levels since they are both coastal groupers.

Sure, I would agree with that. Perhaps to make a more specific point, I'll pass on eating a big goliath! :D If other folks follow that logic (I hope they would), any harvest of goliaths would potentially just be a slaughter of the grouper rather than harvesting them for food.

"Harvest". Harvest implies that we're going to slaughter them for consumption. Are GG's even edible?

Is this what we want again?
View attachment 457227

hahr-vist : verb : to catch, take, or remove (animals), especially for food:

Since it is jointly managed by the FWC and SAFMC,there will be ample studies done to insure the sustainability of any harvest prior to delisting and restarting a season on them.Little to nothing you or I can do about it as the premise they are chartered to operate under is to allow responsible harvest of fisheries deemed healthy enough to withstand them.Histrionics from either side only induce fisheries managers ignore that particular voice for the most part.

As there is evidence they are recovering nicely,it is only a matter of time before some type of take will be allowed.What form that take will be and when are the only issues to be settled.I'm personally not interested in hunting them as I have bigger fish to fry,so to speak.

What is the level of the virgin biomass for the goliath groper? what is the biomass limit reference point what is the target biomass for the goliath groper? Has the stock reached these levels? These are the questions that should be asked of those who manage the fishery and you should question if that level is adequate. (I am a fishery manager in my area).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom