Trip Report Jupiter Mini Season 7/28

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CosbySweater

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
@Johnoly and I went out with JDC on a 3-tanker this morning to kick-off the 2021 installment of Florida's lobster mini season. We couldn't have asked for better conditions and a better crew. The seas we flat, the wind was non-existent, visibility was 60-70 feet, and the current was just enough to allow divers to cover ground without presenting issues when the bugs were finally sighted. There was a 6-8 degree thermocline at around 60 feet, but not bad enough to dissuade any divers. Captain Tim did his best to put us on some buggy spots but the bugs are spread out and word on the street is that they were deeper than where we were looking. We hit patchy/ledgey spots in the 70-80 foot range, starting on the northern end (near the inlet) and working our way south.

Johnoly absolutely whooped my butt (and every else's on the boat) with 11 bugs to my 2. He also managed a stringer full of lion fish to round out the morning. A real stand-up guy he is, he loaned me 4 bugs so I got to take 6 home for dinner (I'll return the favor some day). I'm relatively new to lobstering so I was happy with what I was able to catch. Good practice and lessons learned for the regular season.

All in all a great morning out on the water with some delicious breakfast kabobs, fruit, and comradery. Hopefully everyone who made it out today had a good time and got to bring some dinner home. I'm looking forward to the Goliath aggregation dives with the SB crew next month (if you don't know what I'm talking about check out this thread.

IMG-4062.JPG

Great to dive with you again CosbySweater! ScubaBoard is all about helping each other dive better. That new secret locking device insures you'll never lose a bug again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom