Time to thin the herd?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess some folks just don't like a little healthy competition from a species which they nearly doomed
How can you call it healthy? Those gills are practically a cheating device!

Goliath harvest is gonna happen eventually in some form.Fisheries managers are tasked with maintaining healthy stocks and when considered healthy they will open a species up to forms of harvest deemed environmentally responsible.
It may be 5 years or 20 but the there is a population benchmark once met they will have a hard time legally denying harvest.

"Harvest". Harvest implies that we're going to slaughter them for consumption. Are GG's even edible?

Is this what we want again?
GoliathGrouperBodyCount.jpg

Well, why do you think they were put on the endangered species list?

There's a reason why they are called Jewfish. It's because they are considered kosher.

All groupers are considered kosher. And sardines. That's just a ridiculously stupid comment. Etymology (look up that big word) of the name is murky at best.

Not even close to being good enough. Fishermen's inability to manage fish stocks is the very reason why we have a need for fishing regulations to begin with.... Fishermen are not the ones to be deciding matters of fishing regulations. Asking fishermen to decide matters of fishing regulations is like asking Phillip Morris to decide matters of tobacco regulations...

For what it's worth, it was the longliners who really hurt the fisheries. Most fishermen want conservation and sustainability.

Longliners are trying to get back into our fisheries and it's the recreational fisherman opposing them.

All groupers are considered kosher. And sardines. That's just a ridiculously stupid comment. Etymology (look up that big word) of the name is murky at best.
Stupid? Well, it's the truth. Prove me wrong. Post your alternative facts on why they are called jewfish.

Stupid is posting a picture of a commercial fishing vessel loaded with a species of "grouper", which suffered overfishing, and then asking if they are edible. o_O Of course they are.

Stupid? Well, it's the truth. Prove me wrong. Post your alternative facts on why they are called jewfish.

Stupid is posting a picture of a commercial fishing vessel loaded with a species of "grouper", which suffered overfishing, and then asking if they are edible. o_O Of course they are.

Mercury Contamination in Atlantic Goliath Grouper – Part 1: Are High Levels Dampening Recovery Potential? - Planet Experts

You ahead and eat them. Should help thin the herd. Talk about stupid.

I was going to point out the mercury issue, but tridacna beat me to it. I'll pass on eating them.

Now where did you read me supporting the harvest of them?

A, B, or C? I'll let you pick which one defines your replies to me in this thread.

Definition of stupid
1a : slow of mind : obtuse
b : given to unintelligent decisions or acts : acting in an unintelligent or careless manner
c : lacking intelligence or reason : brutish

BTW, If you believe those figures then you should refrain from eating other species of grouper as well. :wink:

BTW, If you believe those figures then you should refrain from eating other species of grouper as well.

First, I would ask why you would question those figures? Were the methods flawed? Do you know of other data that contradict these? Second, if you understand something about bioaccumulation, then you know that there is a big difference between eating a 3 year old gag grouper and a 15+ year old goliath grouper.

I'll take the 3 year old grouper any day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom