Florida Divers! Year End Summary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two days of diving so far. One of the problems is with scheduled trips being canceled for lack of divers. Neither of the dives I did were the ones for which I was scheduled.

In the first case, I arrived early and set my gear next to the boat. All payment, liability waiver, etc. had been done online the day before. As the time for check in approached, it sure looked to me like the employees who were there were getting ready to perform boat maintenance, not go out for a dive. I asked about it, and I was told that, no, they were not diving that afternoon. They told me to check with the operator next door. When I did, I found other fully mystified divers who were supposed to be on my dive trip. The second operator knew something though, because they accepted our prepayment to the first operator.

So, miffed about all that, for the next dive, I booked with the second company. When I got there, I discovered that the trip for which I was booked had not filled; in fact, I was the only one scheduled to be on it. So I was referred back to the first company, which had scheduled its dive to leave a half hour earlier, so the boat was about to pull out. I scrambled and got me gear on board as it was about to pull out.

So neither dive went to the site for which I had signed up, neither was with the operator with whom I had signed up, and neither left at the time for which my dive was scheduled. On neither occasion did I receive any kind of communication telling me about changes.
I assume you are down in Pompano, who are the operators, no good reason not to disclose. We are quite open and honest in reporting our SE FL experience. The operators should get honest feedback, perhaps they will improve.

I assume you are down in Pompano, who are the operators, no good reason not to disclose.
Actually, I think there is.

I had a great relationship with Pompano Dive Center. They knew me, and they were nice to me. They seemed happy to have me show up. When they disappeared, I finished my winter with Scubatyme, and I developed a nice relationship with Enzo, the owner. Then Enzo sold the business, and I did not dive last year at all. I have dived with SFDH many times over a couple decades, but not frequently in recent years, so I don't know anyone there now. So I am a total unknown figure to any dive operation in the area.

So I like to have a good relationship with dive operations. Who knows? Maybe these were real aberrations that will be forgotten before long. I haven't given up on them.

Actually, I think there is.

I had a great relationship with Pompano Dive Center. They knew me, and they were nice to me. They seemed happy to have me show up. When they disappeared, I finished my winter with Scubatyme, and I developed a nice relationship with Enzo, the owner. Then Enzo sold the business, and I did not dive last year at all. I have dived with SFDH many times over a couple decades, but not frequently in recent years, so I don't know anyone there now. So I am a total unknown figure to any dive operation in the area.

So I like to have a good relationship with dive operations. Who knows? Maybe these were real aberrations that will be forgotten before long. I haven't given up on them.
I know exactly what you mean. I dived with Kevin Metz on Underwater Explorers out of Boynton for a decade. i was devastated when he went out of business. Fortunately, I also have a close relationship with Capt Jim and Capt Alex on Loggerhead and Capt Chris on Starfish. I have a close relationship with the folks at Jupiter Diver Center and with Narcosis and Walker's Charters out of West Palm. There's nothing like having a personal relationship with the folks you dive with :)

I want all my friends in Florida to feel a little better. This is my house, about 15 miles west of Philadelphia. About 6 inches of snow so far, a few more hours to go. Seventeen degrees now, windy, wind chill of zero. Tonight 7-9 degrees.
15 miles west of Philadelphia, huh? How far are you from West Chester? Prior to the world being shut down, I used to take regular trips up to West Chester.

And, that looks cold.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom