Time for a new doubles rig!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
Replacing my HOG doubles rig and looking for pro's/ con's on my options.
My budget is up to about $1000 and currently looking at:
  • DiveRite XT
  • DiveGear Express XTRA
  • Deep6 Signature
Getting lazy in my old age and so rather than messing around with stuff would appreciate a setup that is complete, properly tuned and just works out of the box!
Also, it may end up in Australia in a year or two so the ability to get serviced or service myself may be a factor.
Cheers

PS. The dark horse here as far as I can see is the XTRA piston first stage- don't see any reviews or feedback on it anywhere!

Good question. I decided some time ago to eventually replace my and my wife's HOG doubles rigs with Deep6, because of the similarity in self-servicing, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. So far, and as sort of a test run, I have replaced the HOG reg sets we use for single-tank diving with Deep 6. They work fine, and I like what appears to be better build quality. I don't perceive any difference in performance from the HOGs. Let's see what replies you get.

Why are you replacing your Hogs? The Deep6 looks nice.

Good question. I decided some time ago to eventually replace my and my wife's HOG doubles rigs with Deep6, because of the similarity in self-servicing, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. So far, and as sort of a test run, I have replaced the HOG reg sets we use for single-tank diving with Deep 6. They work fine, and I like what appears to be better build quality. I don't perceive any difference in performance from the HOGs. Let's see what replies you get.

Exactly my thought's
The HOG's still work fine but having owned several generations of HOG's the prices have increased while I have see much evidence of cost cutting. Lately the IP's have been all over the place- anywhere from 120 to0 147psi and as a consequence supplied 2nd stages have breathed anywhere between good and substandard. Sure I can tune the second stages but adjusting the IP pressure from the first stages is a little more involved, and when QC was better they used to be all around 135 (-/+ 5lbs).

Can’t say enough good things about Deep6, mine have worked flawlessly from the day I received them. I had initially been using one for a single tank set up and one for a stage bottle. Recently decided to put a set of doubles together and set my regs up for that.

I have deep 6 signatures on my doubles rig and the DGX D6 as an O2 deco regulator, love them all. If I lived in Australia I might not have gone that route though, unless you self service or are sure someone would do the service in Australia if you provide the service kits. D6 sells the service kits, and will do the training to self service but you have to be willing to do it; or be wiling to do the international shipping to ship them back to D6 every 2 years for service. That same logic applies to the DGX option you have listed as well. I did a quick search and it looks like there are several Dive Rite service centers in Australia. I've nover dove the DiveRite regs but have friends that have and they like them.

Functionally, and technically there is little to no difference between the HOG, deep6 and diverite.

If you can service one, you can service them all.

I have deep 6 signatures on my doubles rig and the DGX D6 as an O2 deco regulator, love them all. If I lived in Australia I might not have gone that route though, unless you self service or are sure someone would do the service in Australia if you provide the service kits. D6 sells the service kits, and will do the training to self service but you have to be willing to do it; or be wiling to do the international shipping to ship them back to D6 every 2 years for service. That same logic applies to the DGX option you have listed as well. I did a quick search and it looks like there are several Dive Rite service centers in Australia. I've nover dove the DiveRite regs but have friends that have and they like them.

I am getting lazy but I don't have a problem servicing if their is no-one else to do it, I have previously serviced my Conshelf and Titan regs, also my Apeks and Scubapro 156 second stages, and the Deep6 service manual looks good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom