tiger sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've posted this previously on this board, but back in 1971 or 1972 I was kayaking in a double Klepper folboat off Bahia de Kino, Mexico, heading out towards Pelikan Island several miles offshore. I was in the bow and glanced to my left in time to see a large fin at the surface heading towards us.

The shark turned and its dark eye looked straight at me. Then it turned back and went right under the bow of the kayak, partially lifting it up. I was scared excrement-less! My paddling partner was ex Special Forces in 'Nam and he was scared silent.

We waited for the shark to return to flip us over. It never did. We independently estimated the length at 21-22 ft since it was larger than the 18' kayak.

When we finally paddled into the tiny fishing village, the shrimp fleet thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez and treated us to all the food we could eat and all the beer we could drink. This shark had taken members of their crew on a few occasions when they slipped off the boat decks into the water.

17 times since November 06 did the Pipe...I know I know...how uneventful...

Same here, usually nothing special to see @ the pipe. A tiger would definitely wake me up! Been meaning to look for horseshoe reef around it sometime.

saw the galapagos, white tip pups and hawksbill turtles at the pipe (reef)....the red striped pipefish are at the pipe and the dragon moray.....just need to know where to look :wink:

australia, a live a board from cairns during a shark feed in the coral sea, we were sat at around 40ft, a fish kebab in the middle and around 40 reef sharks, gray, balck tips etc..., then a 15ft tiger rocked up, looked like a submarine, big eyes, tense body and not intersted at all in the fish kebab, circled the group and that was that. after the dive we watched the dvd on the boat, beleive me, no one was looking at the reef sharks or the food, probably my scariest moment of over 3000 dives, you just wake up and realise, this isn t your territory!
in fiji too, about a 9ft tiger, by this time i had seen hammers, oceanic white tips, bulls, so yeah, i love the sharks but the rays are what im looking for, mantas and eagles, so elegant and graceful.
whale shark season and mantas are coming to mexico, may15

Yup, and to think, at 250 pounds diving all black, I look like a seal for sure on their radar.

drbill:
I've posted this previously on this board, but back in 1971 or 1972 I was kayaking in a double Klepper folboat off Bahia de Kino, Mexico, heading out towards Pelikan Island several miles offshore. I was in the bow and glanced to my left in time to see a large fin at the surface heading towards us.

The shark turned and its dark eye looked straight at me. Then it turned back and went right under the bow of the kayak, partially lifting it up. I was scared excrement-less! My paddling partner was ex Special Forces in 'Nam and he was scared silent.

We waited for the shark to return to flip us over. It never did. We independently estimated the length at 21-22 ft since it was larger than the 18' kayak.

When we finally paddled into the tiny fishing village, the shrimp fleet thought we were the bravest men in the Sea of Cortez and treated us to all the food we could eat and all the beer we could drink. This shark had taken members of their crew on a few occasions when they slipped off the boat decks into the water.

Did it look something like this....

sharkkayak.jpg

Real or not it's still a cool shot.

If that is Photoshopped, it is a damn good job. Looks real to me.........major pucker factor!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom