Tiger Sharks in East Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
Bulenyasar97
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi there,

On a recent diving adventure in the South Halmahera region I ran into 2 tiger sharks in separate island groups. I wanted to ask if other divers that frequent East Indonesia's vast diving regions if you have been noticing an increase in Tiger Shark populations?

I saw a tiger in 2 of my 3 cruises in Banda this year. Video evidence is somewhere on the net. I have also seen a tiger in Christmas Island, which is not too far from Indonesia. Video evidence is also somewhere on the net.
I enjoy watching your videos. You saw some of good stuff. Your latest Diving Banda October 2024 (as shown, below) doesn’t show Tiger Shark footage though.

Could you post your video that shows Tiger Shark in East Indonesia, here? Thanks!

Never mind I found it in your “ Diving Banda September 2024, cruise 2”. That’s pretty cool!

Man, you saw so many hammerheads. Which boat were you on? May be I should go to Banda on that boat next September.

I enjoy watching your videos. You saw some of good stuff. Your latest Diving Banda October 2024 (as shown, below) doesn’t show Tiger Shark footage though.

Could you post your video that shows Tiger Shark in East Indonesia, here? Thanks!
I saw tigers during my 2 cruises in Banda in September 2024, but didn’t see any during my cruise in October.

I saw tigers during my 2 cruises in Banda in September 2024, but didn’t see any during my cruise in October.
Yes, I saw it in your September 2024 video. Those were some incredible dives you did. Lot’s of hammerheads! Which boat were you on 15-22 September 2024 trip?

Reong is far from South Halmahera.
I know where Reong is. I have been there several times (see my first trip video to the area, below). He’s asking about East Indonesia, not South Halmahera. Pulau Reong is in East Indonesia time zone (WIT or UTC +9).

IMG_4783.jpeg

IMG_4774.jpeg

I know where Reong is. I am Indonesian. I have been to Reong several times (see my first trip video to the area, below). He’s asking about East Indonesia, not South Halmahera. East Indonesia covers from Bali to the west, Karakelong to the north, Aru to the east, Rote to the south. See State of East Indonesia - Wikipedia & the red area of the map of Indonesia, below.

View attachment 866466

View attachment 866467
My remark was public. For all members, not only addressed to you. The original post mentioned South Halmahera. There is no State of East Indonesia. There are West, Central and East Indonesia.

There is no State of East Indonesia.
Not now. However, there was State of East Indonesia (Negara Indonesia Timur or NIT) in 1946-1950 when Dutch was trying to regain their colony back from the Japanese after wining WW2. In 17 August 1950 NIT merged to Republic of Indonesia.

So, to avoid further confusion, I edited the East Indonesia region in terms of Eastern Indonesia Time Zone area or Waktu Indonesia Timur (WIT) or UTC +9 area, Reong is in WIT.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom