Three Tank AAA Weekend Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Catherine...what he did is what the "dark side" calls ratio-deco...

It´s simple math...you just divide 21 by 100, to get the ratio between air and 100%. Then you multiply your "air deco time" by the ratio between your decogas and air.
(21/100)*93=19,53 minutes witch means that he did about half a minute more than the theory says he needed to do...If he continued breathing O2 on the surface he may have felt "tingly" or maybe he was just messing with you...
On the actual dive he propably spread the 20 mins out over stops @ 30, 20 & 10ft...

[disclaimer] Don´t try this at home, yada, yada...[/disclaimer]

oh...interesting. yes, he was trying to explain it to me. I remember he was saying he could only do .1 02 for twenty minutes and then you start getting permeabilty lung issues or something....he was talking about rotating his gases.

this guy is the one who has camped in air pockets in cavern systems....nuts, but entertaining. Lots of those tech divers are hard livin' types. It is funny to me because you have the DIR disciples and then the other extreme...I never meet too many moderates. Once they start preaching the six-pack antecdote...I put them in the "other" category. If I ever had 93 minutes of deco, I would need a calculator, I know that.

uh...since I have drifted off topic, let me say this had nothing to do with AAA diving.

I´ll just continue to hi-jack away...
He was propably talking about air-brakes which indicates that he wasn´t using air for backgas either...nor propably (hopefully) diving his computer...nevermind though...I´ve been known to grab a beer on the way back to dock...

Wonderful pictures. I like several of them. There is the first one of the divers hanging on the line and the sunburst and the one where the diver is holding onto the line near the big ball. Both are great pics.

At first I thought that the perspective was warped to make the ball look friggin' huge, but I guess the moorings are big out there. Most moorings out here are gallon jugs or bottles. And, yes, I liked the jumbo mooring and diver picture too- the juxtaposition draws me in and makes me study and measure the scale.

grazie42:

It´s simple math...you just divide 21 by 100, to get the ratio between air and 100%. Then you multiply your "air deco time" by the ratio between your decogas and air.
(21/100)*93=19,53 minutes witch means that he did about half a minute more than the theory says he needed to do...If he continued breathing O2 on the surface he may have felt "tingly" or maybe he was just messing with you...
On the actual dive he propably spread the 20 mins out over stops @ 30, 20 & 10ft...

Nope, that's not ratio deco.

http://www.5thd-x.com/xducation/pdf.html

grazie42:

Back to the hijack- I'm not sure I would use this, ratio deco or not- the O2 tables I've cut (from Decoplanner) usually only reduce the "air time" by about 33%- 93 minutes of air time, would be about 62 minutes of O2. This is a rough guideline I have in my head. I think that Grazie's method is more aggressive, but then again, this is less of an exact science and more of a black art. :D

question....do the proponents of the "deco elixir" really think the alcohol is beneficial?

I never know if it is a joke, they sound kinda serious sometimes....

yea, I need to go back and shoot a few more at the mooring. It was an accident.

I don't know about the interaction between inert gasses and alcohol, but isn't it a vaso-dilator and will affect blood flow?

All the information that I've read has warned against alcohol before and after diving. I know that it hits me harder afterwards. Of course the dangers of alcohol before diving would be mental impairment and dehydration.

yes, it is a vasodilator and I know it increases your bleeding time. I wonder if it raises your seizure threshold... guess it is not an honorable topic though. Just curious.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom