Three Tank AAA Weekend Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I call him that to his face. he likes it. Alex Mason is his name. He can be a controversial figure but has a core of integrity....always says what he thinks, which is not always popular. I could write anything I think about him, right here, good or bad...and he would be okay with that. Not many people are like that.

you might like his page "What Operators Don't want you to Know" since you know the ropes here.

http://aaadiving.com/operations.php it has not won a lot of friends, but it is true.

grazie42:
Catherine...what he did is what the "dark side" calls ratio-deco...

It´s simple math...you just divide 21 by 100, to get the ratio between air and 100%. Then you multiply your "air deco time" by the ratio between your decogas and air.
(21/100)*93=19,53 minutes witch means that he did about half a minute more than the theory says he needed to do...If he continued breathing O2 on the surface he may have felt "tingly" or maybe he was just messing with you...
On the actual dive he propably spread the 20 mins out over stops @ 30, 20 & 10ft...

[disclaimer] Don´t try this at home, yada, yada...[/disclaimer]
OK, maybe I would do this :D - I looked at some tables, and realized that I was comparing the wrong tables- going from backgas only to backgas/O2, it is very roughly 20% of the time. I was comparing backgas/50%/O2 versus backgas/O2- not quite apples to apples.

do the proponents of the "deco elixir" really think the alcohol is beneficial?
Like DIE said, alcohol "widens" bloodvessels. One might think that that would make it harder for bubbles to stick. I´d think that if it had serious benefits all the "serious" divers would be drinking beers after their dives...oh, wait :wink:

About the hi-jack:

That is how a bunch of "DIR people" on the board have described the way they use 32 vs. air. I just saw it as a "logical" extension of the method. DIE looked it up and he seems to think it´s not too crazy...

For the record, it is not "my" method, I´ve never used it. I just looked at what catherine posted, thought about it, and then posted how one might go about reducing 93 minutes on air to 20 on O2 and "ratio-deco" seemed like an apt discriptor for the method and it is something I´ve seen tossed about in those posts...

My plan for a decodive would never be to jump in with my doubles and a bottle of O2, stay down until my comp showed "x number of decominutes" and then go up to deco using this method to calculate my obligation. I don´t think anyone else should either but as always ymmv...

Thanks for the link onfloat...I think you´ve posted it before...I just browsed it the last time I saw it and it made sense but haven´t really thought it thru...

grazie42:
Like DIE said, alcohol "widens" bloodvessels. One might think that that would make it harder for bubbles to stick. I´d think that if it had serious benefits all the "serious" divers would be drinking beers after their dives...oh, wait :wink:

About the hi-jack:

That is how a bunch of "DIR people" on the board have described the way they use 32 vs. air. I just saw it as a "logical" extension of the method. DIE looked it up and he seems to think it´s not too crazy...

For the record, it is not "my" method, I´ve never used it. I just looked at what catherine posted, thought about it, and then posted how one might go about reducing 93 minutes on air to 20 on O2 and "ratio-deco" seemed like an apt discriptor for the method and it is something I´ve seen tossed about in those posts...

My plan for a decodive would never be to jump in with my doubles and a bottle of O2, stay down until my comp showed "x number of decominutes" and then go up to deco using this method to calculate my obligation. I don´t think anyone else should either but as always ymmv...

Thanks for the link onfloat...I think you´ve posted it before...I just browsed it the last time I saw it and it made sense but haven´t really thought it thru...

Your welcome for the link. I have posted it before (I think).

About your posted method:
I didn't doubt the math or if that kind of thing would work, but knew that's not ratio deco. Ratio deco is based off using standard gases and a standard depth and making adjustments from that depth for your actual depth and time. There is actually very little math involved.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom