Threading hard weights onto cam band, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlennyLove

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have experience threading their hard weights onto their cam bands instead of using trim pockets?
I'm wondering if this would wear out the bands webbing over time?

It would probably just be 2-4 1-lb weights every dive.

Trim pockets are not that expensive … and you can just leave them in place on the CAM band forever while just sliding in the weights into the pouch and out rather than threading and sliding them in horizontally and adjusting the position every time. I would get them. Me I found my waist/belly hugging bolt-on trim pockets very uncomfortable similar to an inflated BCD pushing into the sides of the belly so I am thinking of relocating them to the backplate… the only issue being to figure if I can reach behind to dump them in an emergency.

A down side to having the weights threaded is you can't remove them quickly. This isn't a huge deal but on a boat with limited deck space (like a small rib) when you need to change your cylinder getting the cylinder on with weights on the camband is a pain! On a big hard boat or on the shore it's fine you can just lay the set down. When I used to use trim pockets on a single from a rib I would often find myself removing the lead whenever I was changing the cylinder.

I've been doing this for years. No issues removing and replacing weights that I've encountered. I have also doubled up ankle weights to use as tank weights. There is usually more than one way to do something.

I use a single 2 lb that just gets threaded on the "tail" of the cam band and velcro'd down. Stays put. I don't know how secure it would be with a 4 lb.

Respectfully,

James

I have used my tank bands while wearing a 3mm suit, a 5mm suit, a 7mm suit, and a drysuit. I have used my tank bands on AL 80 tanks and heavy Worthington steel tanks. I have used them in fresh water and in salt water. I have used them with an aluminum backplate and a steel backplate. Consequently, I have a variety of weighting needs and use weight pockets on the bands so I can adapt easily. I am currently using them on my heavy steel tanks with a 5mm suit and a steel backplate in salt water, and so I don't need any weight in them at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom