Threading hard weights onto cam band, thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have used my tank bands while wearing a 3mm suit, a 5mm suit, a 7mm suit, and a drysuit. I have used my tank bands on AL 80 tanks and heavy Worthington steel tanks. I have used them in fresh water and in salt water. I have used them with an aluminum backplate and a steel backplate. Consequently, I have a variety of weighting needs and use weight pockets on the bands so I can adapt easily. I am currently using them on my heavy steel tanks with a 5mm suit and a steel backplate ion salt water, and so I don't need any weight in them at all.
Not gonna lie... I was waiting for "on a train in the rain" or another Green Eggs and Ham reference! lol

Not gonna lie... I was waiting for "on a train in the rain" or another Green Eggs and Ham reference! lol
That would have been too much work.

Works well for me. Here’s a pic with a weight threaded through a quick release cam band. It can also be rotated to adjust the center of gravity for different gear configurations.

Attachments

• 19F7E2C8-E818-4CA8-8179-4B53E30400B6.jpeg
    19F7E2C8-E818-4CA8-8179-4B53E30400B6.jpeg
    90.4 KB · Views: 74
It seems like it would be a pain taking them off for flights, unless you're not close on to your max baggage weight.

It seems like it would be a pain taking them off for flights, unless you're not close on to your max baggage weight.
Never flown with weights, just get one from the dive op at your destination.

Never flown with weights, just get one from the dive op at your destination.
Sure, but his point was that by threading them on the cam bands, you would have to take them off before flying, put them back on at the dive site, take them off before flying back, and then put them back on when you got back home. Seems like a lot more work than using weight pockets.

Perhaps these weights could address some of the concerns about the convenience of adding or removing weight from the cam band?

When I dive a single tank (which is rare), I personally use weight pockets on the two cam bands. However, I did run across these the other day which might allow easy adding & subtracting of weight for travel, etc.

I don't have any experience with them (yet). I bought a couple to potentially use as a counterbalance weight system on the butt of helium-rich bailout tanks when I travel.

- brett

When I dive a single tank (which is rare), I personally use weight pockets on the two cam bands. However, I did run across these the other day which might allow easy adding & subtracting of weight for travel, etc.

I don't have any experience with them (yet). I bought a couple to potentially use as a counterbalance weight system on the butt of helium-rich bailout tanks when I travel.

- brett
I was wondering what these were! Thank you for the link. Makes sense, looks a little bizarre and uncomfortable but probably won’t be bad with light weights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom