Question Trim weight pockets… upper or lower cam band?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K-Daddy

New
Reaction score
Warm salt water diver here with a DSS steel BP and 17lb wing. I wear a 1.5 mil long sleeve neoprene top and board shorts. I generally need around 2-4lbs of additional weight. I just purchased 2 small trim weight pockets that will be attached to each side of one of my 2 cam bands. Top cam band positioned at one hands width down from the top curve on an Al 80 tank. I know I’ll have to experiment but thought someone here might have a suggestion as to which cam band to try first, upper or lower. I’m 5’10”, 165 lbs, athletic build. I don’t travel with fins and use those provided by the dive company so no indication of their buoyancy.

I use the top cam band...I have a grip lock cam band for the bottom band so the top cam band works best for me. I have a bad back so I can't lift the BP/W very far up so with the grip lock on the lower band it is that much easier for me

Depends on if you need to trim your head or feet down. Head heavy use the lower band. Foot heavy use the upper. Or just somewhere in the middle if trim is good.

What Boarderguy said. I'm foot heavy so I use the upper cam band, wear 5mm booties, positive fins and can't wait for the aluminum 80s to get light on the bottoms. My wife is foot light head heavy, (I'm trying hard not to make a smartass comment), and her weight is on the lower cam band.

Start at the top.

But... Can you swim this up and tread water without difficulty if your wing fails?

I have the same general setup, but put the trim pockets on the waist band so I can dig them out and dump them if needed.

You can also buy another pair of trim pockets so they'll be on both cam bands for easily switching weights between top and bottom between dives. I like these at $10 each. You can use all 4 if you ever dive colder water or switch to an Al plate to save travel weight.

Back
Top Bottom